Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Help needed on 24th dec

Merry Christmas to you all

I have a concern… I have a form with the fields (class score, exam score, total score, grade, remarks and class position) I will create a many-to-many table to keep the records. I want the grade and remarks and subject position field to be automated. Taking it one at a time, let’s start with the grade.
    These are the grade corresponding, (80 – 100 = A1, 75 – 79 = B2, 70 – 74 = B3 …….)

One user here (Hennie) ever tried explaining to me how to go about it. But honestly I couldn’t go about it. What I want is a step to step approach to doing it. My plan is to use that same procedure for the other fields (remarks, subject position)

This what Hennie said;
    “Do not create a drop-down box for the grades but a text box. Then create a query to run for each record the following; For example; “if you Final Mark out of 100 is >79.99 and <100.01 the field text for Grade is “A1” you have to do it for all. I did it that way for my DB”
    Ive tried to do something out of that statement but ……. No results. Please guide me

Regards
    Evans

Provided Answers: 2
    Hi Evans
    Could you add a script triggered by edit of mark that sets a result field?
    My first idea would be a series of "Else If" checks for each band of marks.
    Ie

If Results And ([Mark] > "79") then
    Results: [Result] = "A1"
    Else If Results And ([Mark] < "80" And [Mark] > "74") then
    Results: [Result] = "B2"
    Else If Results And ([Mark] > "69" And [Mark] < "75") then
    Results: [Result] = "B3"
    ...................................Add more Else if and equals values...............
    End If

Note MARK is numerical and RESULT is text.
    Also in real application you may create form to hold the reference values (use "field of custom record" in rule editor)- 100/80 79/74 etc in case they change Possible it could be done with static variables also.
    There are other ways to do this such as a query but all will need a rule to follow.
    If this idea is what you need, could expand with sample file.
    Merry Xmas
    David
    Added simple file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tamcind; 12-24-14 at 17:36.

Hello David, thanks for the reply. i have looked at the file you sent. actually for my database as compared to yours the "results" field in yours is a mathematical field (as in it sums the values of two fields up to have a number) and when i applied your idea it didnt work. initially i used the same scripts on the grade field (on edit) it worked ..... but the disadvantage is that you have to click iniside the field or do some editing before you see the grade appear. so maybe u can create a mathematical field and try running the same scripts and lets see if it works..... maybe im not doing something right or it only works for numerical field

Quote Originally Posted by tamcind View Post
    Also in real application you may create form to hold the reference values (use "field of custom record" in rule editor)- 100/80 79/74 etc in case they change Possible it could be done with static variables also.
    There are other ways to do this such as a query but all will need a rule to follow.
    i think this idea is cool. an example will be really cool.

Merry Xmas
    Regards
    Evans

Hello David, thanks for the reply. i have looked at the file you sent. actually for my database as compared to yours the "results" field in yours is a mathematical field (as in it sums the values of two fields up to have a number) and when i applied your idea it didnt work. initially i used the same scripts on the grade field (on edit) it worked ..... but the disadvantage is that you have to click iniside the field or do some editing before you see the grade appear. so maybe u can create a mathematical field and try running the same scripts and lets see if it works..... maybe im not doing something right or it only works for numerical field

i think this idea is cool. an example will be really cool.

Merry Xmas
    Regards
    Evans

Hi Evans
    Previous posts just various ideas but if you can make a basic file of what you need with text labels explaining what should happen, then we may be able to modify file to acheive required results. This may be easier then speculating on what is required.
    Happy new year
    David

Hi David, thanks alot for the replies.... ive made a file that contails the idea. there is a field that has subject position (that will be entered mananually). so basically a total will be given that will in the end give the grade and the remark. the remark is (A1 - Execellent, B2 - Very Good, B3 - Good.......)

Attachment.zip

Regards
    Evans
    Hi Evans
    Previous posts just various ideas but if you can make a basic file of what you need with text labels explaining what should happen, then we may be able to modify file to acheive required results. This may be easier then speculating on what is required.
    Happy new year
    David

Provided Answers: 17
    Haven't read all this thread, but I just quickly downloaded your last file and updated it.

Hope that helps a little.

Attachment.zip

Regards
    James

hi James... thanks for your help. it did really help. running the script on the "Exam Score" did the trick. Thanks too David. You guys have been helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    Haven't read all this thread, but I just quickly downloaded your last file and updated it.

Hope that helps a little.
    i dont know if i shoud call it a "bug" but for example if i create a many-to-many table from the form (the attachement) and create a field (on the form with the many - to - many table) that calculates the average of the "total Mark" using the formula (mmrMathOp(|TABLE: ACA Y1T1|,|TOTAL (100%)|,|SimpleAverage|) ) the values in the many-to-many table becomes inconsistent.

Regards
    Evans

Hi again
    Playing around with ideas - may or may not suit you.
    File attached with a form to set thresholds by admin only. (not visible to clients).
    Modified James script slightly to catch over 100% marks. Likely need more fine tuning for real application.
    Regards
    David
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi again
    Playing around with ideas - may or may not suit you.
    File attached with a form to set thresholds by admin only. (not visible to clients).
    Modified James script slightly to catch over 100% marks. Likely need more fine tuning for real application.
    Regards
    David
    wooow.... thanks David. got busy along the week.. have now seen your attachement. the idea is really cool. will try applying it to all ive done and give you the feedback.

Regards
    Evans