Unanswered: Some questions on features/ functions/ technical info on Brilliant DB - URGENT

Hello All – sorry about the last-minute request!

Due to some severe family emergencies and a couple of client projects gone wild, I have been delayed in my final evaluation and pre-purchase tests with Brilliant DB. I now urgently need to find out a few details before purchasing the Ultimate version in the next couple of days, and beginning my learning/ initial development. I also hope the answers may help others looking at or starting with this software.

I would truly appreciate any experienced users’ help with the following questions:

1. All the statistical limits for Brilliant DB look fine, with two notable exceptions and one confusion:
    a. 100,000 records per folder seems very limiting compared to the rest of the size limits. I am thinking, for example, about several years of relational transaction data such as items ordered per invoice (the Items folder could be in the 10’s of 1,000’s per year.) Am I missing something?
    b. The number of computers seems a bit small, but in most cases should suffice, assuming that the system does not slow down significantly as you go beyond 10 computers. Does it?
    c. What does the “256 folder number per folder” mean? Sounds like you are creating folders WITHIN folders!?!

2. If you have BDB Ultimate, can all users at a client business use a copy of the “runtime” application (even if some have to be set with limits to access or functions) or is there any reason for them to buy copies of the Workplace version for any users?

3. In Brilliant terminology, is a “recordset” a temporary set of records created by a query upon which you perform actions and which is then discarded? Can the recordset be saved?

4. In relational setups:
    a. When I experimented with setting up a Projects database and related to it a “child” folder of tasks (many tasks to one project), the first field on the form was blank on new Task records unless I clicked on it and then chose the appropriate Project. I was creating new records while using the Project database, so, shouldn’t that field in the Task record automatically populate upon creation with the Project record name I was using?
    b. Can you query from either end of a relation? (e.g., gather information about teacher records related to a student or student records related to a teacher using the teacher-student relationship)

5. Are there any major functional development or use limitations compared to other relational database software such as Access, Filemaker, or Alpha?

Thank you so very much!

~ John

Provided Answers: 17
    hi John.

I got your email, but I'll reply here.

1. All the statistical limits for Brilliant DB look fine, with two notable exceptions and one confusion:
    a. 100,000 records per folder seems very limiting compared to the rest of the size limits. I am thinking, for example, about several years of relational transaction data such as items ordered per invoice (the Items folder could be in the 10’s of 1,000’s per year.) Am I missing something?
    b. The number of computers seems a bit small, but in most cases should suffice, assuming that the system does not slow down significantly as you go beyond 10 computers. Does it?
    c. What does the “256 folder number per folder” mean? Sounds like you are creating folders WITHIN folders!?!
    From version 10 onwards, the number of records per folder is unlimited. It used to be at 100,000 for all previous versions but now it's unlimited.

As for network issues, it will all depend on the network activity and how much other data is being pushed though the switch users are connected to. Typically my average database would have 5 users connected at the same time and they never notice any difference in speed at all unless someone else is trying to pull a large file and they are hogging the bandwidth on the same switch. Generally, there's simply never an issue. Not so sure about having up to 10 users connected at the same time though.

With regards to the number of folders, think of them exactly like folders on your PC. You create a folder, and inside that you can create up to 256 sub folders. So bearing in mind you can have 256 main folders, and each one of those can take 256 sub folders, that means you can create a total of 65,536 folders. Bearing in mind then that each one of those 65,536 folder can store an unlimited amount of records, this is never going to be an issue.

2. If you have BDB Ultimate, can all users at a client business use a copy of the “runtime” application (even if some have to be set with limits to access or functions) or is there any reason for them to buy copies of the Workplace version for any users?
    The runtime you compile is all they will ever need. There will never be a need for a workplace version.

3. In Brilliant terminology, is a “recordset” a temporary set of records created by a query upon which you perform actions and which is then discarded? Can the recordset be saved?
    Recordsets can be set many different ways. As for storing them, it all depends on what your intentions are and how much data your talking about as to what the best direction to take is. Generally speaking though, yes you can store them.

a. When I experimented with setting up a Projects database and related to it a “child” folder of tasks (many tasks to one project), the first field on the form was blank on new Task records unless I clicked on it and then chose the appropriate Project. I was creating new records while using the Project database, so, shouldn’t that field in the Task record automatically populate upon creation with the Project record name I was using?
    It will only do what you tell it to do. Brilliant Database doesn't assume anything. If you want a field to auto populate when a record is created, you have to write the code to do that.

b. Can you query from either end of a relation? (e.g., gather information about teacher records related to a student or student records related to a teacher using the teacher-student relationship)
    Yes.

5. Are there any major functional development or use limitations compared to other relational database software such as Access, Filemaker, or Alpha?
    Nothing you can't plan for. Golden rule number one, when working with databases shared over a network, make sure you build into your database an auto backup system.

If the server is set to auto reboot after Windows Updates are installed automatically, it's best that this is turned off completely as it will cause database corruption when windows force shuts down your databases.

When the server boots up, you need to plan on how your databases are opened and set to share on the correct port numbers. This can be scripted with a bat file and it's highly recommended rather than leaving instructions for someone on what buttons to click on when they relaunch your database on the server.

Regards
    James.

Hello James. I truly appreciate your quick and detailed response. I do have just two follow-up questions:

1. I didn't see the "unlimited records per folder" change on the website. Was this something you discovered by use, announced somewhere else, or didn't I look hard enough? This is just for my future reference of where to find the best and latest info re: BDB.

2. I'm sure this will become more obvious during use, but could you provide a brief general description of how you would explain what a "recordset" is as it appears to be undefined in documentation (it seems to be a result set of an action such as the queries)?

Thank you very much!

~ John

Hi John.

1. I didn't see the "unlimited records per folder" change on the website. Was this something you discovered by use, announced somewhere else, or didn't I look hard enough? This is just for my future reference of where to find the best and latest info re: BDB.
    We tested this ourselves on the forum and chatted about it when v10 was released. There was technically never a 100,000 limit believe it or not.

From v9 down the actual limitation on how many records you can store in a single folder is only an estimation based on the only real limitation which is the size of the database file (4GB). Meaning if your records are simply and contain very little data, you can store way more than 100,000 records in a single folder without any issues, but if they are complex and contain a lot of data, you will not even get to 100,000 as you will hit the 4GB limitation. So the number 100,000 is simply best guess based on the fact the 4GB is a real limitation.

V10 has a new engine so the 4GB limit has been raised to 2TB. I've tested v10 up to 700,000 records in a single folder and saw no point in going any further as the database had only grown to 60GB and it would have taken a few million records to reach 2TB.

That being said, it's a bad idea to store everything in the same folder anyway as it would take forever to run a query on a massive amount of data. So best to keep that in mind.

2. I'm sure this will become more obvious during use, but could you provide a brief general description of how you would explain what a "recordset" is as it appears to be undefined in documentation (it seems to be a result set of an action such as the queries)?
    A recordset is a set of records you can define using various methods. By far the most common way you will define a record set is through the results of a query .

For example, lets say you have various products in your shop and you want to find out how many “drill bits” you sold. You would run a query to find the word “drill bits” in your records.

The query returns a result which is a list of all records that contain the word “drill bits” .

To work with the values contained in each of those records the query found in order to calculate the total sales, you would set the “recordset variable” with the results of the query. Now you can use the recordset to do all manner of calculations you need.

Regards
    James

Hi James.

Once again--my deep gratitude for the quick and expert response! The answers were exactly the information I wanted to confirm. And I do understand your points regarding realistic and creative planning and solutions. I am one who believes there are always alternatives--even if there isn't a great one, there's usually a workable one.

I be purchasing Ultimate tomorrow and diving in! Just wanted to make sure the "water was deep enough"!

Happy New Year!

~ John

Hi

I am using with 13 users on local network and find no issues on speed. However if your form contains 'many to many field' which has large number of records stored there the speed will be lower while opening that particular folder. Further if you are using the internet to access the database I feel the speed is much lower.If you are planning to install in local network no need to worry!

Asokram.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by asokram View Post
    Further if you are using the internet to access the database I feel the speed is much lower.
    Hi Asokram.... With using the Internet to access the database how is that done? Does a software like Winflector support BD?

Regards
    Evans

Thank you all! I purchased Ultimate today and am looking forward to learning and exploring. It's mainly a matter of prioritizing the time to get familiar with the design constructs and terminology in Brilliant and getting back into advanced development.

~ John

Quote Originally Posted by Java7 View Post
    Hi Asokram.... With using the Internet to access the database how is that done? Does a software like Winflector support BD?

Regards
    Evans
    When you share the database the IP address is reflected in the top of database heading.One will be to use while you are in local network.If you are connected to the internet another IP address is also reflected which yoy can use to access the database over Internet.

Regards
    Asokram.

Congratulations on your purchase John.

Kind regards
    James.