Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Finding records by id (text button?)

Hello Everybody… Thanks for the help you’ve offered me so far im very grateful. Ok… so on my form im trying to create a field that will act like a search field that will help locate records in the DB by their ID numbers irrespective of their folders. Upon reading the help file in BD Its clear I have to use a text button. (but honestly I don’t know how to go about it). To add, I want the IDs to be automatic and unique for each record (so ive created a button that supposedly upon its click will generate an id specific for that record). The id numbers can be from any range … (say 0001 – 9999).

Ive attached an example of how I want it to look. Thank You
    EXAMPLEATTACHED.zip

Regards
    Evans

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Evans.

Your field for storing the ID number is only a “Text” field, so that needed to be deleted and replaced with an real “ID” Field. An ID Field stores a number and every time you add a new record, it auto populates the ID Field with a new number. So the number is always unique.

I deleted your Search Box and replaced it with a Button.

See attached.

Regards
    James
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    Hi Evans.

Your field for storing the ID number is only a “Text” field, so that needed to be deleted and replaced with an real “ID” Field. An ID Field stores a number and every time you add a new record, it auto populates the ID Field with a new number. So the number is always unique.

I deleted your Search Box and replaced it with a Button.
    Hello James... Thanks sooo soo much. im very grateful. i would say thats all i needed. it seems the id field only takes numbers can there be anyway it can take alphabets too? like alphabets plus numbers example an id like (AD-41225). even if it cant this idea is enough im sure. God bless

Regards
    Evans

Provided Answers: 2
    Hi Evans
    Depending on your requirements it should be possible to create a "alphanumeric" ID to search on. The main requirement is usually to maintain "uniqueness". You could combine the auto-id field with the first 3 letters of surname for example by using a script to set a text field to "left3 surname"&ID on confirrm. Would need a good reason to go to this trouble in practice.
    A text button object is another option for your search action (press enter to run query with "predefined variable = $input")
    Just a word of caution - I notice your have a students details mixed with class. Suggest a related form for class to keep relational theory correct as a student can have many class's.
    Regards
    David

Hi Evans.

seems the id field only takes numbers can there be anyway it can take alphabets too?
    Correct, an ID Field can only store numbers. If you want it to generate random letters also then you cannot use an ID Field.

To use letters there's a few ways you can approach this. You can do what David just said, or you can write a system that truly generates random letters and numbers. It's a heck of a lot more coding though to do that.

Regards
    James

Hello David and James... thanks alot for the expert advice and recommendations... im gona heed to all of them. i think i will just use the id field. after all what matter is the "Uniqueness". the class stuff is well noted @David

this is another differnt request. please can you make a file to ilustrate to me how the visibility rule is used in hidding sheets for groups of users??/ have been trying but its not working im scared i might do something to spoil the already build up ive made.

thanks again

Regards
    Evans

Hi Evans.

this is another differnt request. please can you make a file to ilustrate to me how the visibility rule is used in hidding sheets for groups of users??/ have been trying but its not working im scared i might do something to spoil the already build up ive made.
    It maybe best if I show you rather than simply create the file for you.

See attached zip file. Please note that this Zip contains an EXE File. This exe file is a Animation with sound, so if you run it you will hear me talking and showing you want to do.

Regards
    James.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi James... Please I downloaded the attachment and got the exe file but when I try opening it. It doesn't respond. The mouse cursor turns busy for some seconds and gets normal.

Regards
    Evans

Hi
    The exe file that James posted here seems to work fine here in Australia.
    Might be worth trying a different computer or check plugins.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by tamcind View Post
    Might be worth trying a different computer or check plugins.
    hi David.... um which plugins should i have.... ive checked my browser all my plugins are up to date. maybe i have to download something or??. i will try on differnt computer but i will be more glad if i could open it on mine.

Regards
    Evans

Hi Evans.
    Is FLASH installed on your PC? That's all the animation requires.

Regards
    James

Hi Buddies... sorry for my late reply i got busy for the past days. Yea James i have it installed and updated bt it still cant open. ive tried it on two other computers. i will keep on trying till it comes.

thanks for the help so far.

Regards
    Evans

James,
    I just downloaded, watched, and listened to the id_field.zip file you made for Evans. I just have to say that you are an incredible asset to this community. Your knowledge and untiring willingness to help others is absolutely amazing. If there were more 'James Tubbritt's' in this world, things would be so much better! Thank you for what you do.
    Daryl G

Quote Originally Posted by Java7 View Post
    Hi Buddies... sorry for my late reply i got busy for the past days. Yea James i have it installed and updated bt it still cant open. ive tried it on two other computers. i will keep on trying till it comes.

thanks for the help so far.

Regards
    Evans
    That's really odd because other than FLASH 6 or higher, (which every PC will have) there's no other dependencies.

Leave it with me and I will see if I can upload the animation later as a html/swf file.

Regards
    James,

Quote Originally Posted by fireant911 View Post
    James,
    I just downloaded, watched, and listened to the id_field.zip file you made for Evans. I just have to say that you are an incredible asset to this community. Your knowledge and untiring willingness to help others is absolutely amazing. If there were more 'James Tubbritt's' in this world, things would be so much better! Thank you for what you do.
    lol... shucks. Your making me all embarrassed.

Regards
    James.