Unanswered: Intermittent Errors 171, 3112 & 3006

Hi

I have an application running at a site where there are intermittent errors 171, 3112 & 3006 (but mainly 171). The application is also installed at 100's of other sites with no problems.

Using:
    Windows 2008 with 2 CPUs and 12GB RAM
    PSQL v11 Client Server

Data Size = 9.6GB
    Users = 10

Application written in Delphi 6 using PDAC so accessing data directly at the Transactional Engine Level (no SQL being used)
    Pervasive was recently upgraded from V10 which ran fine.

Server Performance Settings:
    Communication Threads 16 (increased from 2 to see if any improvement - now peaks at 9 when monitored)
    IO Threads 32
    Cache Allocation Size 4612MB (If you can suggest a better setting given the server RAM then please do)
    All other settings as default

System Cache is off
    Allocate Resources at Startup is off

PARC is disabled

Client Settings
    Removed unused Protocols
    Reconnect is off
    Use Local Engine is off
    All other settings as default

I believe that the issue is network related but the local network engineer is very disbelieving as his ping test is fine Pervasive Analyser is quite slow on communication test compared to other sites. It can do the relational test but not done the transactional test yet.

I'd really appreciate any help. Help in terms of how to see if the network is the issue (what monitoring I can do) or if you have the solution then I'd have that too with many thanks

Hope one of you can help me!

Rich

Provided Answers: 4
    A few questions:
    - Are the 171/3112/3006 happening on the same or different client machines?
    - What's in the PVSW.LOG (both client and server) when these errors occur?
    - Are the errors consistent (same time of day, same machines, doing the same operations, etc)?
    - Are you patched to v11 SP3?
    - What does it take to get past the errors (app retry, app restart, workstation restart, server restart, etc)?
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Thanks

Different PC's

I can't see the 171 errors but I can see the 3006 & 3112 errors. Would have to check clients again but think I can see on server. Getting access is a problem.

- Are the errors consistent (same time of day, same machines, doing the same operations, etc)?
    Not sure. Difficult to get info from client

Yes

- What does it take to get past the errors (app retry, app restart, workstation restart, server restart, etc)?
    Restart App I think. Will interrogate client with bright light to see if I can get more info. Definitely not a workstation or server restart. Seems to be same file every time.

Thanks

Rich

The answer

Got one of our engineers to look at the infrastructure and all the ping results were 1ms+ on the same network. Seems that they have a number of vlans all passing through a single firewall to each other and it's making the network sluggish (under 100 pc's on the entire network with the printers in their own network away from all the pc's which are also segmented).

Thanks!

Rich

Fixed the issue

Quote Originally Posted by mirtheil View Post
    A few questions:

Hi, it turned out to be bad performance on the VLAN where ping times would increase above 7ms or so and this is where we saw the reconnect mesages in PVSW.Log. I suspect the software using PSQL just can't cope with that amount of latency.

Sorry for the delayed response and thanks for your help.

Rich