Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: What Brought Me Here! Class Positions and Class Total

Good Day People… apparently this is the first problem that I came to this forum with but I couldn’t explain myself well. On my form there is a field that automatically calculates (average Marks). There are also fields that are supposed to give a class position (say 1,2,3 meaning 1st, 2nd, 3rd…..) based on the average marks of the student and a field that automatically populate itself (not really sure if I used the word rightly) with the number of people in the class (Folder).

An additional information is that more folders will be added to the DB in its operation (after exe compilation) ….. and I want the same effects (class total and class positions) on subsequent folders and records that will be added.

I have attached an Example. ATTACHED Example.zip

Regards
    Evans

Hi Java7,

You can sort the average score in descending order in order to determine the class position of the student

Thanks

Ernie
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mcmichael; 01-18-15 at 22:59.

Hello Ernie... sorry for the delay in replying. ive seen you attachement. the sorting can be done alright but i want the value in the class position field and also the total number of students in a class (folder) also in the class total field. thanks for the response

Regards
    Evans

Provided Answers: 2
    Hi Evans.
    Just a quick glance at your file and my initial feelings are that something like this will require multiple related forms (student, class subject etc). The other thing is postion is only possible once all the class has finished exams or all data entered- more like a query/report needed. If I was planning this I would start with a pencil, paper and eraser. Try to break each "bit" of imformation in to a separate form, this is basic relational theory. Students should have no imformation about classes or subject etc, but linked to the appropriate forms.
    Regards
    David

Hello David, Ernie.. and all Following this thread.... upon thinking about the two replies ive got. i think ive got a solution kinda... inasmuch as a database should be automated the end user still should do some lil work lol.... i think just like David is saying... the Position will be made available after all the class has finished exams and from Ernie's sorting procedure i think...... the end user can sort the records out based on their average scores and enter respective positions and class total (number of records in a folder) easily with highest first (A-Z) after all the marks are made available.

Thanks All however new ideas are welcomed.

Regards
    Evans

Hi Evans,

Here is an automated version of the database.
    Hope it helps

Regards
    Ernie
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mcmichael; 01-21-15 at 01:23.

Thanks alot Ernie....

Regards
    Evans