Hey Guys,

I have DB2 9.7 bundled with ITM. The "db2licm -l" shows DB2's license as:

Code:
    Product name:                     "DB2 Enterprise Server Edition"
    License type:                     "Restricted"
    Expiry date:                      "Permanent"
    Product identifier:               "db2ese"
    Version information:              "9.7"
    I wanted to know what restrictions we may have with this license? Should we change/upgrade the license?

Provided Answers: 18
    License type Restricted: means you should use DB2 only for the application that bundles db2 (in your case ITM).

If you want to have other db2-instances or other application databases and be license-compliant, consider a different DB2 product ( and possibly different infrastructure).

Thanks for your reply, I mean does this license have any restrictions for use as ITM db? You know many other applications have bundled databases with them like VMWare vSphere vCenter Server but they don't suggest using the bundled DB for production sites with many hosts...

Should I upgrade/change DB2's license which comes with ITM for production/big sites with an unrestricted one? or this license is enough and works like a normal non-restricted license?

Provided Answers: 18
    Don't compare db2 bundled-licenses for ITM with other vendor practices or make assumptions based on that. The general guidance already given is valid. If you have a single ITM server (regardless of the number of agents / things being monitored), the bundled licence is valid for that single site.

*For any more precise information, such as license-applicability for testing and non-production environments, and requirements for offsite/external-agents, you must refer to your IBM sales person* as specific considerations might apply for ITM itself (not only for its db2 databases).

If you require additional DB2 features to support a large scale ITM (such as the storage-optimization feature, or any function not present in ESE V9.7) or if you wished to support DB2 v10.1 or V10.5 if your ITM version supports these, then you might consider a different licence, but in all cases refer to your IBM salesperson first for specific advice.
    Last edited by db2mor; 01-19-15 at 07:49.

Thanks for your complete answer! As I can understand this DB2 is ok for even large data/clients and it has all ESE features...