Question Regarding RAM Upgrade for Dell Optiplex 580

Hello everybody. I just wanted a few tips when making a RAM upgrade for a desktop computer.

One of the administrative assistants at my job has to store a lot of files on her C: drive for the President and Chairman of the Board. She is utilizing a Dell Optiplex 580 (Windows 7) with only 2 GB's of installed RAM. I opened the computer and discovered she uses a blue colored Kingston 2 GB 1Rx8 PC3-10600U-9-10-AG memory stick.

If I order her 2 more GB's of memory do I need to use the same manufacturer in conjunction with the one already in there? Do I have to buy Kingston produced RAM? Or does anybody have any suggestions on which 2 GB of RAM I should buy for this computer that is compatible? I have been doing some research and did a system checker and the attached image is what I discovered is compatible.

I just wanted opinions and insights when purchasing RAM so I do not do this often and I want to make sure I buy the right one the firs time around. Any feedback is always appreciated. Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ram_dell_optiplex_580_compatibility.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	16121

This is the image

Memory (at the workstation end of things) is cheap. Rather than try to match settings with the memory that is already in place, get all new memory. If you don't get exactly matching memory, you will probably have to hear about how many blue-screens you have sentenced her to. If she has a 64-bit operating system, I would price out 8 GB of memory for her. I expect it would be significantly less than buying a brand new machine, so if you hit resistance, bring that up as an alternative.

Google around for Dell Optiplex memory, and you should get the specs. Plug these into NewEgg.com, or any other reseller of your choice, and you should be able to find some decent pricing.

Judging from the Tech Specs for the Dell Optiplex line, and the pricing at NewEgg.com, it looks like you can expect to spend under $100 after shipping.

How much money can you spend?
    If you add RAM rather than replacing all the existing RAM, then the new parts should be the same as the existing, else the system is likely to be unstable.
    This system is probably 4 years old, and has a current retail value of 150-200US. It was sold by Dell as a 'Budget Desktop System'

Thank you for the advice MCrowley. Unfortunately I was only authorized for 2 GB's of memory for her. We just did a major over haul and replaced 10 computers with new ones and also upgraded the remaining computers within the company with Windows 7 if they didn't have them before.

I will probably look into getting an 4 GB one but that would probably be the max I can spend at this point. Thank you for the advice though and I will keep in mind what you told me while shopping. I always appreciate any type of advice. Have a great day.

That's kind of what I was wondering. I figured the RAM should be matching to ensure stability with her PC. I think you guys gave me enough advice to make my own decision. I'll post back down the road and let you know how I made out. Thanks everybody.