Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone work in database programming/related field that can answer a few questions?

For a class I'm taking, I need to conduct an interview with someone that works in a related field. Can someone please private msg me if they can help out. I would be very appreciative. Just 4 questions pretty short.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Earic; 01-25-15 at 04:37.

I'm not interested in a private discussion, but if you post your questions I'll probably answer them.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks for your response. I don't want to make it public, just in case there may be other students in the same class using my interview questions.

Anyone work in Database programming or related field?

For a class I'm taking, I need to conduct an interview with someone that works in a related field. Can someone please private msg me if they can help out. I would be very appreciative. Just 4 questions short?

Short interview, need help from Database programmer/related field worker.

For a class I'm taking, I need to conduct an interview with someone that works in a related field. Can someone please private msg me if they can help out. I would be very appreciative. Just 4 questions short, can anyone please help?

Interview questions for class - Database programmer/related field

For a class I'm taking, I need to conduct an interview with someone that works in a related field. Can someone please private msg me if they can help out. I would be very appreciative. Just 4 questions short?

Anyone work in Database programming or related field? (interview questions)

For a class I'm taking, I need to conduct an interview with someone that works in a related field. Can someone please private msg me if they can help out. I would be very appreciative. Just 4 questions short.

Why don't you simply post questions here and see all the results?

Oh it would be so much more entertaining if you just posted the questions and everyone could answer.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Earic View Post
    Thanks for your response. I don't want to make it public, just in case there may be other students in the same class using my interview questions.
    I'm sure that you mean well, but you've kind of missed the point of forums. We collaborate. By working together, we get far better answers than any one of us would think of or create.

You may find someone willing to spend the time/effort to work one-on-one with you. Good luck!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Happy to contribute publicly as well.
    George
    Home | Blog

I value all your comments. I understand this is a forum. However, I don't want someone in my class to duplicate my answers. Here goes nothing... is anyone willing to PRIVATE MESSAGE me their answers? (It's for a project in class, I will not use or publicly display your name or contact information, I'll remove those or you can leave them out. Maybe a first/last name though?).

Two - Five sentence responses ideal. Anymore is greatly appreciated!

1. What are the various database job roles and respective hiring requirements at your company?
    2. Describe an entry level job and the hiring requirements at your company?
    3. What is your job role?
    4. What is your background?
    5. Describe the path that let you to this job role.
    Last edited by Earic; 01-30-15 at 02:43.

1) I am the only database developer here. We have a 3rd party who provide some server support and I have two guys in random departments that I have trained to write reports.
    2) If I were hiring a junior developer the requirements would mostly be around having a good understanding of database design, math skills and a problem solving brain. I would have them sit a short test to cover these areas. Any other relevant experience is a bonus.
    3) Database Guru. I play Developer, DBA, Architect and everything in between here.
    4) Did an A Level (UK, ages 16-18, before university) in computing. Opted not to go to university and was lucky enough to land a job in IT and worked my way up. I would happily hire someone without a degree if they had applicable skills (e.g. not someone who studied English, Art and Business, but someone who studied Maths, Physics, Computing and to a lesser extent IT).
    5) Left school and became a Junior Developer - not database specific, quite the opposite in fact. Found that learning SQL made my job a lot easier and fell in love with it. It helped that there was nobody there with this as a speciality. Then contracted for a few years but decided to go back to full-time when a steady paychecque became more important than flexibility.
    George
    Home | Blog

Thank you George!!

1. We have data analysts, production support people, database administrators, data scientists, database software engineer I, database software engineer 2, senior database software engineer, database architects, principle engineers, quality assurance analysts and business analysts that all use SQL daily. I am sure I left something out.
    2. software engineer 1, production support, quality assurance analysts 1, data analysts 1. As for hiring requirements for junior people, I am not sure. My current team are all senior people, architects and up. I have not hired any junior level people here, but we do have them.
    3. It is long overdue, but they are going to make me an architect soon I am told because I have been playing that role for a couple of years now. I have been a senior engineer here for a few years. I am the lead developer on our company's top development team of 4 developers and 4 analysts.
    4 and 5. I am en-ex hoodlum who went to a state college on financial assistance and got a degree in political science with minors in philosophy and history. It was 1997 when I graduated and they were handing out IT jobs in my home town in Northern Virginia to anyone who could find a DOS prompt in Windows. So, I financed my first computer and bought some books and taught myself to code. I learned a lot from this message board during days when it had more traffic. I worked for some big companies and some little ones along the way before settling into a mid-sized IT software company that specializes in the medical industry. We have about 100 to 120 developers, and something like 3 to 5 thousand employees.
    Last edited by Thrasymachus; 02-02-15 at 14:11.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.