Unanswered: 2008r2 SSAS Multiple fact tables

I am currently using 2008r2 BIDS to try and build cubes against SQL Server databases (also version 2008r2). I am running into issues with setting up relationships between fact tables and dimensions. I can build the cubes and they run fine for instances when I have only one fact table, however the problem arises when I have multiple fact tables that contain no common dimension between them. The fact tables obviously have a common key, but unfortunately cannot be combined inside of SQL Management Studio due to other unfortunate circumstances. I have been able to set proper relationships between the fact tables through certain types of relationships, however my only successes required an intermediate dimension made up of the key which made the sheer size of the cube to large to be acceptable.

I have the cubes working properly on Analysis Services 2000 and can convert to 2008r2 properly as well. Unfortunately, after the cubes are converted it becomes impossible to add new dimensions. All of the relationships are impossible to reassign too.

I do not have the authority to redesign the databases, has anyone else run into this and conquered it?

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm nearly certain that no one can solve this problem without access to the whole schema/problem definition. I'm also certain that if this is a complete problem definition that the problem can be solved. The amount of effort required and the process required depends on the missing elements.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 6
    FWIW

We have several OLAP cubes in our environment and each ones is driven by one fact table. Whether in business objects or excel directly into analytic services I only see one set of measures from the facts table and then our dimensions.

Just curious isn't the whole point of OLAP to build a 3 dimensional cube with dimensions running in one direction and the facts firing through the dimensions for lack of a better term.

You have the right idea, but we build cubes with 20 or more dimensions. Three would be trivial for our users and developers.

There are too many possible scenarios for me to envision what the problem is based on the description that has been provided. Without a better grasp of the problem, I'm no help getting to a solution. If the OP (Original Poster, aka RyanA) can provide more insight, I'm sure that one of us can help find a solution and probably an easy one. Without that insight, I'm no help at all.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 6
    PatP we have more dimensions than that as well, I was just throwing out a number for the sake of the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by VLOOKUP View Post
    PatP we have more dimensions than that as well, I was just throwing out a number for the sake of the conversation.
    Gotcha. I was just trying to cover in case you'd made a common newbie assumption. I have had many occasions where people got hung up on the idea of a cube having more than three dimensions!

-PatP