Question Unanswered: Automatic Backup not triggered in DB2

Hi All,
    I have scheduled automated online backup for a database in DB2 V10.5. I took a full offline backup of the database before scheduling. I have given the minimum number of full backup as 5, maximum time between backups as 24 hrs and log space consumed as 1000. Normally, if any of these conditions are true, the backup should be triggered. But the backup is not triggered in this case. What might be the reason? db2diag.log is also not showing start of auto backup and the history of backup lists only the full backup taken by me.

Please help.

Thanks & Regards,
    Vaisakh

Provided Answers: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by vaisakhgopal View Post
    Hi All,
    I have given the minimum number of full backup as 5, maximum time between backups as 24 hrs and log space consumed as 1000. Normally, if any of these conditions are true, the backup should be triggered.
    I'm not sure you're on the right track. Normally, you wouldn't want to trigger your backup during working hours.
    Florin Aparaschivei
    DB2 9.7, 10.5 on Windows
    Iasi, Romania

Quote Originally Posted by aflorin27 View Post
    I'm not sure you're on the right track. Normally, you wouldn't want to trigger your backup during working hours.
    Hi Florin,

I have set the online maintenance window is 12 AM -1 AM everyday. So scheduled online backup should be automatically taken in that window right? But it's not triggered in that window. For a successful automatic backup operation, there will be a message in db2diag.log file like this

"START : Automatic job "Backup database online" has started on database SAMPLE, alias SAMPLE
    STOP : Automatic job "Backup database online" has completed successfully on database SAMPLE, alias SAMPLE"

However, in this case even the Start message is not there in the diagnostic log. So it's pretty clear that it isn't triggered in the online window.

Provided Answers: 6
    Tried it using the default "optimise for database recoverability" and it worked. However when it was set to "customise" with max time between backups of one day and log space used 1000Mb it didn't run. Seems like there is an 'AND' condition on the log space and max time between backups. We prefer to use Cron for our backups as we can also control compression etc

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion! Will try that out

Could you please tell me more about cron? Sorry, but I am new to this whole setup

Regards,
    Vaisakh

Provided Answers: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by vaisakhgopal View Post
    Hi,
    Could you please tell me more about cron? Sorry, but I am new to this whole setup
    Vaisakh
    Cron is for Unix, Task scheduler is for Windows. You didn't say your OS.
    Florin Aparaschivei
    DB2 9.7, 10.5 on Windows
    Iasi, Romania

Hi Florin,
    OS is Red Hat Linux Enterprise Version 6.5 . Can you please tell me how we can schedule backup using Cron.?

Regards,
    Vaisakh

Provided Answers: 6
    have a look at this link
    http://www.unixgeeks.org/security/ne...ix/cron-1.html
    it didn't take much searching to find it

Thanks for the info