Unanswered: Is there a commerical version of Informix?

Sorry for this question:

But are ALL versions of Informix DB free for usage?

Or are there (similar to e.g. DB2) a free "Express" and a commerical "full" version?

Is the "Innovator-C" equivalent to DB2's "Express"?
    Peter
    Last edited by pstein; 02-02-15 at 05:37.

You're right:
    - Innovator-C = free commercial edition
    - Developer = free development edition
    - Express/Workgroup/Enterprise = non-free commercial editions

There are several restrictions in every version.
    You can compare them on this page (scroll down to the "Easy comparison table" part):
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/da...le/dm-0801doe/
    WilhelmW

Provided Answers: 1
    I would state it like this:
    * Innovator-C is a production version at no charge. you can use it in a production environment, but it has software and functionality limitations
    * Developer Edition: has all the functionality available, but has physical/sizing limitations. Only for development environment
    * Advanced Developer Edition: no functionality limitations, nor physical/sizing limitations. For test/staging environments. You need to already have a for charge Edition to be entitled to have ADE.
    * Express/workgroup/Enterprise: commercial editions for production environments

Everything is detailed at this place

Eric

Great. Thank you.

But could you tell me the physical/sizing limitations in detail?

Are these limitations:
    - number of tables?
    - number of users?
    - number of rows per table
    - number of Megabytes?
    - Speed throtteling limitations?

Peter

The 'space' limitation is, for Innovator-C, a total of 8 Gb of disk space (probably 7 Gb of data + Indexes )
    This is not a number of tables, number of users of number of rows per-se.

Another limitation is only 1 CPU vp (so this is not multithreaded), which probably will stand between 50 and 100 users, according to application intensity
    Did you check the document ?
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/da...le/dm-0801doe/

What is your purpose exactly ?
    Are you more interested in low range or high range ? The big advantage of the Informix solution is that you can start small and finish hudge without having to rewrite or migrate anything, because it is the same product for all the editions. This is just a licence matter, installing the superior edition and reboucing the server (about 1 minute downtime).

High range has no limit because you can cluster virtually as many servers as you want with the Informix MACH11 technology, and handle NoSql data in a hybrid way with structured SQL data (i.e you can
    perform joins between NoSql collections and 'traditional' SQL data).
    Informix 12.10 is MongoDB compatible, meaning you can run a MongoDB application on an Informix server just by redirectionning the listener port to Informix.
    and between you and me, running a MongoDB application in Informix has a lot of advantages ( performance/hardware sizing)
    Last edited by begooden-it; 03-03-15 at 15:31.

@begooden-it:

Thank you for reply, but it is confusing me.

In your second last posting you wrote something about software and functionality limitations for Innovator-C (but no size limitations????). In your last posting you mentioned a size limit of of 8GB for Innovator-C

On the other hand you did not mention the size limit for Developer edition.

Did you mix Innovator-C and Developer Edition in your last posting?

For testing of software I need a version with full functionality. 7 GB size limit and 1 CPU would be acceptable.

Peter

Peter, it is all described in Carlton's document ( the URL i posted), in the "Easy comparison table" section

there is a fully descriptive matrix with all the details:
    to summarize:
    * Innovator-C is a production license, limited to 8gb of storage, 2 Gb of Shared memory, and 1 CPU VP. No replication,no PDQ, just basic ( but you have timeseries,Spatial, simple text search(lucene) and more datablades, as well as NoSQL/mongoDb compatible full functionality
    * Developer Edition is a development license: it has full functionality but restrictions on storage and Shared Memory ( 1Gb SHMEM and 8 Gb storage)
    * there are also time limited trials (90 days I think, no limitation)
    * the upper Editions have more and more capacity and functionality: Enterprise has it all basically.

Sorry for the mess
    Eric