Unanswered: Session still alive after TCP connection is closed

Hi guys.

I killed a client process which was waiting for results from a long running statement. In this case I had set "lock mode wait" an was executing a stored procedure, which was waiting for a lock.
    As I said, I killed the process on the client machine. netstat showed me on the client and the server, that the tcp-connection was properly closed, but the database session was still alive,
    onstat -g sql ID showed it was still executing the statement. Killing the session with "onmode -z" after that ran just fine.
    Why was this session still alive after the client connection was lost? DBS is IDS 10.
    Is there a way to automatically kill sessions, when client connections , e.g. a client application crashed?

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi,

although your management may think there are no more versions of Informix, we are today at version 12.10 xc4 ( xC5 within days...), and I would definately recommand to upgrade.
    V10 is out of support.
    According to different situations, it may take a long time for the onmode -z'ed session to disappear because the engine is rolling back the transaction. This can take a lot of time.
    In worst case, you may hit a long transaction while rolling back...
    Check the online.log file to see how your onmode -z is doing and if you have problems.

I remember onmode -z did not work quite well in former versions, but it now works great.
    With 11.70 and above, you can use the informix scheduler to chase lost connections and kill them.
    Eric