Provided Answers: 1

Question Unanswered: Statistics gurus, I need help making product purchase predicitons

I recently came across this article: How Netflix is turning viewers into puppets which explains how "Neflix developed "House of Cards" after the company's data on users suggested the same subscribers who loved the original 1990 BBC miniseries also gobbled down movies starring Kevin Spacey or directed by David Fincher" (source: reddit.com). That got me thinking more about how companies frequently market products in this way ("customers who bought that, also bought these..."), or how netflix recommends movies based on what you liked.

I work for a retail company and am interested in the ability to see correlation between what people buy so we can dynamically build website recommendations, send targeted promotions, etc. The problem is that I have no idea where to even start on something like this. Thoughts?
    Last edited by clawlan; 02-09-15 at 14:35.

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by clawlan View Post
    I recently came across this article: How Netflix is turning viewers into puppets which explains how "Neflix developed "House of Cards" after the company's data on users suggested the same subscribers who loved the original 1990 BBC miniseries also gobbled down movies starring Kevin Spacey or directed by David Fincher" (source: reddit.com). That got me thinking more about how companies frequently market products in this way ("customers who bought that, also bought these..."), or how netflix recommends movies based on what you liked.

I work for a retail company and am interested in the ability to see correlation between what people buy so we can dynamically build website recommendations, send targeted promitions, etc. The problem is that I have no idea where to even start on something like this. Thoughts?

Read up on something called "The Long Tail" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_tail . Predictive analytics and business intelligence and data warehousing.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.