Thread: Backup Question

Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Backup Question

Maybe someone can help me with this. I have be wondering for awhile. When you do a backup inside the compiler
    it makes a complete backup in a file that when executed starts the compiler. Containing all your code etc.

But after the customer installs the program it creates the directories, different structure. This same backup
    command seems to create the same type of file. Now the customers data is stored in the empty.db file. Shouldn't
    that file be backup up so if the customer has issues that file can be reinstalled?

Joe

I guess what I am asking is how does one use the backup file to restore the database.

Joe

Provided Answers: 17
    It sounds to me like you have the application you compiled set to open as a one file database, which means the customer doesn't probably even realise their actual data is being stored in a file called empty.db

My 2 cents, it's better to compile the application as a “Full Featured Database Application” so that after they installed the program for the first time, they must use the FILE menu to create a new database called whatever name they choose.

This way the customer will know that the file they are creating is where their actual data is stored, and they can manage that as they would any file. I also means that the backup system will write the backup into the same location your customer created the file.

If you must use the One File Data option, if the empty.db file gets corrupted, there is no automated way for your client to have the file restored as your application will not be able to run scripts if it can't open the empty.db file.

Regards
    James

That is good advice thanks. I have been working with Brilliant DB since v5 and never have a backup problem come up.
    Good thing I guess. Now I understand it better.

Joe