Unanswered: Problem in the dbf (clipper) files

Problem in the following. It is necessary to work with the dbf (clipper) files. The standard dbf files are dbaseIII, but in different libraries differently.
    I tried 3 different libraries dbf, dbfpy, ydbf, simply I don't know others.
    There are some *.dbf files with identical fields. it is necessary to process some text fields and to copy all records in one file.
    Problem: when creating a string of field long more than 254 error occurs in all libraries - this restriction dBase III and clipper this field can be up to 32K.
    The dbf library also has a mistake at creation of the field N(1,0), and N(2,0) is already created.

dbf (clipper) files

Hello,

Which version of Clipper are you referring to? The versions I've used use 'special' libraries ONLY for different index formats, and don't have variants regarding dbfs. Please explain what you mean regarding libraries 'dbf, dbfpy, ydbf'??

You refer to 'identical fields' - meaning what? You cannot have two fields in the same file with identical names. So yes, N(1,0) and N(2,0) - assuming you're referring to the len/decimal spec - will not be allowed, I think in ANY version of Clipper. You may try N1(1,0) and N2(2,0)??

Of course, you could have identical fields in different files. This is normal for relating data in one file to data in another.

Yes, the spec for text fields is different between dBase III (I assume '+') and Clipper. Which system did you use to create the file? If you use a file between the two systems, you will hit problems if you have a structure that one will NOT support.

If you have a file that is causing problems, copy to me and I'll check it out. One data record ONLY sufficient.

Geoff Barnard

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.dean View Post
    Problem in the following. It is necessary to work with the dbf (clipper) files. The standard dbf files are dbaseIII, but in different libraries differently.
    I tried 3 different libraries dbf, dbfpy, ydbf, simply I don't know others.
    There are some *.dbf files with identical fields. it is necessary to process some text fields and to copy all records in one file.
    Problem: when creating a string of field long more than 254 error occurs in all libraries - this restriction dBase III and clipper this field can be up to 32K.
    The dbf library also has a mistake at creation of the field N(1,0), and N(2,0) is already created.