Question Unanswered: Handling Inventory Records - Assigning and Re-assigning Millions of Records

I have an application with projects. In each project, there can be multiple pieces of media. We upload 2 inventories of that media. One is at a folder level and one at a file level. One piece of media could be a TB HDD. A subset of the media is what sources are on it. I have the front end interface set up with a main form for media, and a sub form tab for sources. Each source on a set of media is constituted of 1 or more files on the media.

My challenge is to create an interface where I can view the media inventory and assign 1 or more files or folders to a source. I'm facing a couple if issues.

1) how to use either a listbox or datasheet/continuous form to show potentially millions of inventory file records, with the option to view the folder level or file level detail

2) how to allow a user to select multiple inventory records, and "assign" them to a source. I have the back end table structure set up, but the front end interface is where I am just not sure how to handle

3) how to show the inventory records already assigned to another source

4) how to re-assign inventory records to a different source

5) how to assign inventory records from the folder level and have the file records, that would be in that folder structure, also get assigned (and vise versa)

Does this make sense?

Any ideas, examples or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Provided Answers: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by misscrf View Post
    1) how to use either a listbox or datasheet/continuous form to show potentially millions of inventory file records, with the option to view the folder level or file level detail
    Does this make sense?
    Not in my opinion. Nobody would be able to handle millions of pieces of information simultaneously. You should try to set up an inventory system that would be able to yield subsets based on one or several criterias, then display this subset only through the interface. It could be a kind of "filter by form" system or it could be a kind of search engine. Once the set is reduced to a few thousands pieces of data (at most), it would be easy to show them in a listbox or in a form in Datasheet view. To further reduce the amount of information displayed at one time, you could also use a Tab Control or an interface acting like one.

If the backend is an Access database, also keep in mind that there is a limit concerning its size.
    Have a nice day!