Unanswered: Show text on a report if user selects Canada from a drop down list

Hello, I have been fighting with this all day.
    I need to display some extra text regarding shipping information on a report when someone chooses a specific country.
    I am trying to do this with a text Label, however it could be done some other way as well.
    I tried goggling it but maybe my terminology was not quite right.
    Thanks for your time.

Ramsey

Provided Answers: 59
    I guess it depends how you gave stored the data. But uf it were me id have a table for postal destinations, which also had the extra shipping information. Id then identufy that a shipment us going to that destination and using a join pull the additional ingirmation from the shipping destinations table
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

thanks for your insite

the information I need to display is just "don't insure package" this information wont change and will only be applied to people who have Canada selected from there drop down. I'm formulating what you said in my mind and I think that I can make that work be it seems like it may be over complicated due to the fact that it never changes and just needs to be shown on the report. I am going to give this a try now and see if I can make it work that way.
    Thanks for your help!

Provided Answers: 6
    You could use a textbox:

=IIf(Country = "Canada", "Your text here", "")
    Paul

Provided Answers: 59
    ....which is fine if this is a special, only for Canadian destinations. If there is a risk that you may need this for other destinations then doing this via a table makes more sebse than doing it via code.
    not least as it means users control the data, the message.
    if they decide they need a message for a new destination, they can cchange it as required. There is no developer resource needed to implement.
    but if this is only EVER going to affect one destination then doing this via code is fine. It wouldnt be my choice precisely because I have a nasty devioys mind that always expects users to change their minds, usually when you are most committed to other stuff, and they must, must have this right here, right now
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thumbs up

Thanks pbaldy! This is almost exactly the route I was going down to make this work.
    I respect what you are saying healdem, it is likely that the owners will change the functionality down the road but for now I'm gonna make this work.
    The database I am working on was started in 96-97 and has been updated only to access 2003. It is a huge ball of string and anything more then a simple change inevitably breaks something. Thanks again for all the help I'll post back later today when I get it working!
    Ramsey

Provided Answers: 6
    Happy to help! I certainly agree with healdem, but based on your "it will never change" I figured I'd throw it out there. I suspect healdem has had the same experience I have, where "it will never change" later becomes "hey, we need to make a change".
    Paul

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question, the code worked like a charm and changes are being pushed tonight.
    You guys are great!
    Ramsey