Thread: Account removal

Question Account removal

Hi, as I don't really use this site I'd like to free myself from your resource allocation and remove my account completely.

I can see this is an 'in demand' feature as there are a number of posts about it - however there are no clear answers other than perhaps 'don't log on' and 'forget your password' - I don't feel these are acceptable responses.

I would like to delete my account completely, all profile gone, all posts, and more importantly all traces of password data. OK perhaps the posts can stay but with my profile name removed from them (ie from 'deleted user')

Is it just that this is a manual process that must be requested? Or it is not possible at all?

Thanks for reading

After trawling through the profile/settings pages looking for a delete option, I failed to see or consider the 'contact us' link at the bottom of every page.. d'oh.. maybe that's the way to do it

Because of the age of some of your posts, they have been added to the DBForums "archive" of historical posts. As far as I know, there isn't any way to remove posts from the archive and there definitely isn't any way for me to remove posts from the search engine archives such as Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.

I don't know of any way to remove your id at this point, but it really isn't causing DBForums or iNet any problem.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thank you for the response. Is this just a limitation of the software? There's no ability just to remove a record from the 'users' table? Makes me curious as to how you deal with spam...

Quote Originally Posted by clhumphreys View Post
    Is this just a limitation of the software? There's no ability just to remove a record from the 'users' table?
    There are many factors at work to complicate matters... Once a user posts at all, things get more complicated because the post exists and leaving the post "orphaned" without a user has caused problems in the past. DBForums is using a newer version of the software, and having active posts might not be the limitation that it once was.

The specific problem for you is that there are posts from sometime before "the great DBForums melt-down" that are captured in the Archive. This archive is a static image of the old posts, but with some sort of links to the current site. If those links are active, it is unwise to remove the user from the current software.

Quote Originally Posted by clhumphreys View Post
    Makes me curious as to how you deal with spam...
    Spam is a much simpler problem to deal with based on the current infrastructure. All spam posts are in the current site, so they can be hidden or deleted at will. The current process is to hide them, then allow an automated grooming process to log, review, and eventually delete the spam.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.