Unanswered: How to fix DBF file?

Hi, I have one DB which is corrupted. I was on my glorious way to recover it, but I'm stuck. I know that the problem is in .dbf . So I need some advice about how to fix corrupted .DBF file? Is there some usefull soft or way to do it by my self? Hoping for your help. Thnx.

Provided Answers: 59
    depedns what the problem is
    you may strike luck and be able to open the file do a compact and repair
    it may require a decompile

it may be that you can recover most if not all of the data importing all objects into a new clean database

failing that you may have to go to your most recent backups and work backwards untill you find a backup without he fault.... you do have backups I take it.

atfer tha you need to consider why or how you got erors int he first place.
    the most likely source is running a multiuser Access application where the data and the applciation (the reports, forms etc) are in the same file. its recommended that you use a split db model. data in one acccess file, user interface (forms, reports, local tables, locla queries) in a separate file, AND IDEALLY each user has their own separate front end deployed oin their local desktop. this is especially important if you make use of local queries (ie you write tot he queries collection).
    Also don't allow users direct access tot he objects in a db, so deploy the live files as MDE or ACCDE files. BUT IF YOU DO, make certain you retian the original MDB/ACCDB as without those you will not be able to change the application
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by SelewineCotter View Post

...I know that the problem is in .dbf...
    What type of database are you talking about, here? .dbf is used by a couple of different database programs, but MS Access is not one of them...and this forum specifically deals with MS Access.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Re: How to fix DBF file?

It's not clear with what kind of database you work. Please provide some more spcific information. As I know some of databases are possible to be opened with MS Access. If you have the corrupted .dbf file. Please read here first about .dbf file recovery. http://www.filerepairforum.com/forum...cover-dbf-file
    Good luck!

Re: How to fix DBF file?

It's not clear with what kind of database you work. Please provide some more spcific information. As I know some of databases are possible to be opened with MS Access. If you have the corrupted .dbf file. Please read here first about .dbf file recovery. http://www.filerepairforum.com/forum...cover-dbf-file
    Good luck!

Thumbs up How to fix DBF file?

To fix a corrupted DBF file, you can try a third-party DBF recovery tool. There are many software companies in the market which provide third-party recovery tools for corrupted DBF files. I would recommend here advanced DBF Recovery tool of SysInfoTools Software. This tool can repair your corrupted DBF files which are created by any of these database programs: Visual FoxPro, dBase II, IV, V, Clipper, dBFast, CodeBase, MultiBase, dBXL, Arago, etc. I would strongly recommend you to check its free demo version that will help you preview the recovered data before saving them.

To read more about this tool and to download its free demo version, you can visit: www.sysinfotools.com/dbf-recovery.html

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    depedns what the problem is
    you may strike luck and be able to open the file do a compact and repair
    it may require a decompile
    Are you sure with your suggestion? I mean does the "Compact and Repair" really work for a .DBF file? It's really strange for me! Generally "Compact and Repair" is available for Microsoft Access database. What do you say?

Quote Originally Posted by SelewineCotter View Post
    Hi, I have one DB which is corrupted. I was on my glorious way to recover it, but I'm stuck. I know that the problem is in .dbf . So I need some advice about how to fix corrupted .DBF file? Is there some useful soft or way to do it by my self? Hoping for your help. Thnx.
    Before we can suggest anything or recommend you a software tool, could you please share that glorious way with us? I know some manual tricks to repair corrupt database of MS Access and SQL Server, but don't know anything to repair a .DBF file. What database program are you using? Is it MS Visual FoxPro or some else? There are plenty of software tools available in the market which can repair corrupt DBF files and recover data from them. Or first you can try some freeware tools for viewing corrupt DBF file. I can recommend you smart DBF Recovery tool to scan your corrupt .DBF file. You can preview the recovered data by using its free demo version. For more information, you may visit: http://data-recovery-solutions.com/dbf-recovery/

I hope this would be helpful. This is just a recommendation. You can try some other tools as well.

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_bo View Post
    Are you sure with your suggestion? I mean does the "Compact and Repair" really work for a .DBF file?
    We sometimes see people refer to an Access file as a DBF, i.e. database file and I think healdem made this assumption, as I did the first time I read the post. It's a reasonable assumption, considering the fact that this forum, as I said before, specifically deals with MS Access.

Of course, SelewineCotter never responded to any of the replies...which kind of makes one wonder why you'd respond, nine months after the fact!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007