Answered: Migration of XML functionality from Oracle to DB2 LUW (ver 9.7 on AIX)

Hello,
    We are trying to migrate a set of Oracle PL/SQL's to DB2. We have set the Oracle compatibility vector in the db2 configuration parameters, but we are facing issues in instances where an xml file is being read in the Oracle PL/SQL code, eg:-
    v_parser dbms_xmlparser.Parser;
    v_doc dbms_xmldom.DOMDocument;
    v_nl dbms_xmldom.DOMNodeList;
    v_n dbms_xmldom.DOMNode;
    v_parser := dbms_xmlparser.newParser;

The above sort of code does not compile in a db2 Stored Procedure, throwing error for "dbms_xmlparser" (Object not found). As per my understanding, the best approach would be to develop an equivalent code using pureXML to load the xml file into a temporay or staging table and read it from that table. Is it possible to federate on an xml file and use it as an alias directly?
    All thoughts/inputs are welcome.

Cheers
    Ashwin

2. Best Answer
    Posted by n_i

"Why not use UTL_FILE to read your XML file into the procedure itself?

PS. You may want to use more recent version of DB2, as Oracle compatibility has significantly improved since v9.7"

Provided Answers: 1
    Why not use UTL_FILE to read your XML file into the procedure itself?

PS. You may want to use more recent version of DB2, as Oracle compatibility has significantly improved since v9.7
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Hi n_i,
    Thanks for the useful pointers. On further analysis I found that the input was a XML string as a VARCHAR, to handle that I ended up using XMLPARSE to convert the input character string to an XML and then used the XMLTABLE to read the contents of the XML as a table.

Regards
    Ashwin