Unanswered: Common id for two db2 instances

Hi,

DB2 10.5 in Linux.

We currently use two different ETL ids for two different DB2 instances/databases that are present in the same box.

What are the risks if we remove one of the ids and use the one ETL unix id for both DB2 databases?

Any tips is appreciated. Not sure what restrictions we might have from Linux side too.

Regards,
    xamar

Provided Answers: 18
    A specific userid can connect to any connectable database to which it has connect rights and appropriate permissions.
    So a specific account can connect to databases in different db2-instances provided the account is authorised to connect.
    After successful connection, the schema objects (and their permissions) have to fit whatever the ETL-id needs to achieve so the ETL application software may also need appropriate configuration.
    Last edited by db2mor; 03-02-15 at 09:02.

Provided Answers: 54
    As a general rule of thumb, two ids for ETL are generally better than one.

While it is tempting to merge the ids to reduce the administrative overhead, that is generally small compared to the amount of work that needs to be done in the case of an audit or when one of the ETL processes, procedures, data sources, etc. needs to be changed.

If you have a compelling reason to merge the two ids, then it might be a good idea to merge them. If there isn't some compelling reason, I would prefer to keep them separate and distinct.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 5
    I, also, prefer to keep separate to ensure you know which instance you are working on. Believe, me anything to keep your head straight and not make an alteration to the wrong database.
    Dave

Thanks everyone for the answers. I agree on the auditing side on the Linux, it may become difficult to trace which database the id was using and other such resource utilization issues.

Also, I guess is there some things I should check on how much resource is allowed like CPU, memory, etc for an id which may encounter a bottleneck in such a case. I guess this would make it more of a Linux question than a database question, but just in case anyone can think of anything, will be helpful too.

Regards,
    Amar