Answered: Sending Data From One Sql to Other

hello guys need help in understanding of data transfer between 2 sql express editions
    I have a client who has 2 branches

i have installed 2 sql server express edition running in different cities

how can i sync data between one and other

so when a user inserts a record in db1 then db2 will be updated aromatically and vice versa
    both dbs will have identical database
    Last edited by sefak169; 03-04-15 at 17:24.

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Pat Phelan

"if you can assume that your users always have internet access, you can easily scale a web site to support 20,000 users. This can probably be done for less than $1000 USD per month. This will dramatically improve concurrency, database management, and probably user satisfaction too. It is also a tiny fraction of what a Merge Replication solution of similar scale would cost.

-PatP"

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by sefak169 View Post
    hello guys need help in understanding of data transfer between 2 sql express editions
    i have 2 sql server express edition running in different cities
    how can i sync data between one and other
    It has been a while since I used express, but I think it still has the Data Import and Export wizard. I know you can not build SSIS packages with Express.

You might be able to use BCP with express. Not sure. Never tried.

Are the 2 machines on the same network?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
    It has been a while since I used express, but I think it still has the Data Import and Export wizard. I know you can not build SSIS packages with Express.

You might be able to use BCP with express. Not sure. Never tried.

Are the 2 machines on the same network?

sorry i was unable to clarify my question
    both db's are on different network and i need to connect them so that they keep alive 24/7
    if one db gets a record the other should be updated too
    i wana transfer data over internet

Provided Answers: 54
    What you have described is Merge Replication, but it requires at least one full copy of SQL Server (Standard or Enterprise, but not Express).

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    What you have described is Merge Replication, but it requires at least one full copy of SQL Server (Standard or Enterprise, but not Express).

-PatP

thanks for ur reply

how about if any purchase VPS hosting account and keep my db in that server
    Db at VPS (Virtual Private Server) which will act as publisher and 2 express edition will receive data from that server

As long as the versions of SQL match or are at least compatible for replication, using a VPS hosted SQL Server ought to work nicely.

if you read the link to the description of Merge Replication that I posted you'll see that there are some limits, but with only the VPS and two replication-compatible copies of SQL Express you shouldn't have any problems.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

ok thats great

one last thing lets say we take this scenario in a huge picture.

if i have about 20k clients and every one requires the same process

how would i manage 20k clients

do i have to make 20k databases offcourse 1 vps or db wont handle this amount of databases i would have to purchase many vps or dedicated servers

or is there any other way through which the vps db would just performs as medium of data transfer and wont record any database.

(i ve seen some ERP's doing some thing like that e.g Tally)

Designing a two (or even ten) database merge is pretty easy. Scaling the merge to support 20K databases is a much harder problem. I certainly wouldn't use Merge Replication, but I'd need to do a full case study to find a good answer for that kind of problem.

In order to reach the 20,000 database scale you will need to have a great architect and very good database and SME staff to support it. This is what my professors used to call a "non-trivial problem" that is way beyond a simple forum exchange like this.

-PatP

if you can assume that your users always have internet access, you can easily scale a web site to support 20,000 users. This can probably be done for less than $1000 USD per month. This will dramatically improve concurrency, database management, and probably user satisfaction too. It is also a tiny fraction of what a Merge Replication solution of similar scale would cost.

-PatP

yes i totally agree

i ve already developed an erp system which is working quite well with almost 1500 clients but it can only run on local network (normal client server application) .

Now we are trying to develop an ERP system which can support this type of data sync.

Small scale can be done through merge replication but doing this for 20k customers is impossible. i dnt know how tally is doing but they are doing it on a very huge scale.

u r right this forum wont be enough for this type of discussion but for the start i just wanted to know if i am on the right track coz i dnt think i am on the right track on this one. merge replication is mssql is a bad idea not to mention data discrepancy which might occur in each database and for that i would need huge staff for constant recheck for data consistency.