Unanswered: Data size of type text

can somebody advice me please, if I assign text field size to 255. Will it take 255 bytes immediately in memory or it is just telling me that I can enter up to 255 characters and it takes place in memory based on entered characters as I go??

Thanks

Provided Answers: 7
    Its telling the feild size
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Thanks Myle, at least someone answers on this forum!!
    i understand it's a field size, but in my question I was looking to clear: whatever field size we allocate, does it takes its place immediately in memory or only when we enter some data in that field.

Provided Answers: 7
    data is stored in a database not in memory as each record is showing that is stored in memory (on screen)

my question WHY You asking this

i been playing in database for over 25year

i have built

small ones 500k to Big ones 100+GB memory never been on my mine just how do i make it user friendly
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Thank you, it was just a confusion i was trying to clear.
    I work alone and live at a place where I don't find professionals to discuss face by face. That's why sometimes even a small question is a big confusion for me.

Provided Answers: 54
    Creating the text field and setting its maximum length to 255 is an Access User Interface action. It establishes the data type (meaning text) and the maximum size (length) of that particular field.

MS-Access uses ODBC (indirectly, through layers of code), and that ODBC interface allows Access interface to many underlying database engines. The database engine determines how the data is stored on disk, and in most cases it influences or determines how the data is stored in memory. While MS-Access used to make the decision about how data was held in memory, it has delegated that to the data layer for the last several versions.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Creating the text field and setting its maximum length to 255 is an Access User Interface action. It establishes the data type (meaning text) and the maximum size (length) of that particular field.

MS-Access uses ODBC (indirectly, through layers of code), and that ODBC interface allows Access interface to many underlying database engines. The database engine determines how the data is stored on disk, and in most cases it influences or determines how the data is stored in memory. While MS-Access used to make the decision about how data was held in memory, it has delegated that to the data layer for the last several versions.

-PatP
    Thanks Pat.