Hello from the haert land

Howdy yall, I have been IT since 1985 started working for a small consulting firm in Southern Cali setting up Radio Shack 3000 Unix systems. Liked it so much I went back to school to get a BS in CS. Graduated Epsilon Delta Pi and went to work for GTE Phoenix doing CICS\VSAM\Cobol programs. Too hot, so I moved to the Midwest Consulting for State Farm writing COBOL programs on a HP3000, Think old DOS, you get that picture. We as in 30 programmers, wrote a portable catastrophe relief system used at disaster sites all over. Contracted for Caterpillar tractor for a while writing C\Cobol cross platform applications. Too cold, so I moved to Oklahoma working for Hertz doing IDMS/COBOL. They decided to contract out to India or something like that so I left for Globe Life in OKC. Been here 10 yrs. The thing I like about this Company is they are large enough to be recession proof but small enough to give a creative person some freedom. Since I have been here I have written PC Basic to ZDOS Mainframe applications. In a way I have returned to my roots designing and developing small business applications for Inventory control, Job Flow, Data conversion, you name it. My newest project is upsizing a MS Access database I developed a few years ago to a SQL Server. Well you know what they say the pay sucks but the hours aren't bad, just kidding. living the dream and hope you are too.
    Last edited by wjburke2; 03-16-15 at 16:34.

Hello from the Heartland

Howdy yall, I have been IT since 1985 started working for a small consulting firm in Southern Cali setting up Radio Shack 3000 Unix systems. Liked it so much I went back to school to get a BS in computers. Graduated Epsilon Delta Pi and went to work for GTE Phoenix doing CICS\VSAM\Cobol programs. Too hot, so I moved to the Midwest Consulting for State Farm writing COBOL programs on a HP3000, Think old DOS, you get that picture. Great thing though we as in 30 programmers wrote a portable catastrophe relief system used at disaster sites all over. Contracted for Caterpillar tractor for a while writing C\Cobol cross platform applications. Too cold, so I moved to Oklahoma working for Hertz doing IDMS/COBOL. They decided to contract out to India or something like that so I left for Globe Life in OKC. Been here since. The thing I like about this Company is they are large enough to be recession proof but small enough to give a creative person some freedom. Since I have been here I have written PC Basic to ZDOS Mainframe applications. In a way I have returned to my roots designing and developing applications for Inventory control, Job Flow, Data conversion, you name it. My newest project is upsizing a MS Access database I developed a few years ago to a SQL Server. Well you know what they say the pay sucks but the hours aren't bad, just kidding. living the dream and hope you are too.