Lightbulb Unanswered: Opinions Kindly Required for Student Project

Dear all,

I am currently undertaking an academic project to design & build a Web Application (using HTML5 and open standards) that will require a data storage method and a means of serving the data to the Web Application.

Data will include items such as simple statistics in numeric format and information in text format.

I am considering using SQL Server as the technology choice for the database, to be hosted online via a suitable web server and accessed by the web application's data API.

It is important that the data technology used is capable of providing data exports in standard formats (CSV etc.) and accepts data imports using standard methods (specific SQL scripts, Flat Files etc.).

In order to assist me with making this choice, I would be very grateful if anyone who has experience of using SQL Server with Web Applications in this way could provide brief feedback, stating if you feel SQL Server is a suitable/reliable approach.

Thank you for your help with this.

Best wishes,

Last edited by gbullock; 03-19-15 at 08:14.

Provided Answers: 11
    When you think about it, the market has already given that sort of feedback. If SQL Server did not support SQL Scripts, it would not last very long on the market, now would it?

AS for CSV formats, you can look at either the BCP command line utility, or SSIS. As this is a student project, you might not have access to SSIS in SQL Express, so go right for BCP.