Unanswered: Performance Issue Help: String search in multiple columns/tables

I am trying to create a query that searches for a single string that is found in several columns in a few different tables. The following query takes about 6 seconds when adding the snUserComments.comment column to the search. There can be one or several comments associated with that particular sn_id in the snUserComments table. Is there a better way to search one or more columns for a string that will be faster (or higher performance)?

Here is my query:

SELECT DISTINCT

snRequestData.sn_id,
    snRequestData.sn_title,
    snHistory.sn_state,
    snHistory.sn_nxt_actionee

FROM snRequestData

LEFT JOIN snCurrentState ON
    (snRequestData.sn_id = snCurrentState.sn_id)

LEFT JOIN snHistory ON
    (snRequestData.sn_id = snHistory.sn_id AND snCurrentState.sn_id = snHistory.sn_id AND snCurrentState.sn_revdate = snHistory.sn_revdate)

LEFT JOIN snAnalysisData ON
    (snRequestData.sn_id=snAnalysisData.sn_id)

LEFT JOIN snWorkDone ON
    (snRequestData.sn_id=snWorkDone.sn_id)

LEFT JOIN snUserComments ON (snRequestData.sn_id=snUserComments.sn_id)

WHERE
    (snRequestData.sn_title LIKE '%key%' OR snRequestData.sn_desc LIKE '%key%' OR snAnalysisData.sn_analysis LIKE '%key%' OR snWorkDone.add_cmnt LIKE '%key%' OR snUserComments.comment LIKE '%key%')

MySQL Performance Issue Help: String search in multiple columns/tables

I am trying to create a query that searches for a single string that is found in several columns in a few different tables. The following query takes about 6 seconds when adding the snUserComments.comment column to the search. There can be one or several comments associated with that particular sn_id in the snUserComments table. Is there a better way to search one or more columns for a string that will be faster (or higher performance)?

Here is my query:

SELECT DISTINCT

snRequestData.sn_id,
    snRequestData.sn_title,
    snHistory.sn_state,
    snHistory.sn_nxt_actionee

FROM snRequestData

LEFT JOIN snCurrentState ON
    (snRequestData.sn_id = snCurrentState.sn_id)

LEFT JOIN snHistory ON
    (snRequestData.sn_id = snHistory.sn_id AND snCurrentState.sn_id = snHistory.sn_id AND snCurrentState.sn_revdate = snHistory.sn_revdate)

LEFT JOIN snWorkDone ON

WHERE
    (snRequestData.sn_title LIKE '%key%' OR snRequestData.sn_desc LIKE '%key%' OR snAnalysisData.sn_analysis LIKE '%key%' OR snWorkDone.add_cmnt LIKE '%key%' OR snUserComments.comment LIKE '%key%')

Provided Answers: 5
    There is a logic error in your SQL that will slow you down. You have LEFT OUTER join coded on your snUserComments, snAnalysisData and snWorkDone yet, you have conditions for those tables in your WHERE clause. So, you have effectively turned those outer joins back into INNER joins. Best practice to keep all your predicates for a table in the ON clause of that table.
    Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Could you explain what you mean? Or provide an example for this on what I should be doing instead?

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 5
    WHERE
    You are now performing that portion of the where clause after you have done the LEFT OUTER to each of those tables.

Wouldn't you really want your query like:

Code:
    and snAnalysisData.sn_analysis LIKE '%key%'

LEFT JOIN snWorkDone ON 
    and snWorkDone.add_cmnt LIKE '%key%' 

and snUserComments.comment LIKE '%key%'

WHERE 
     (snRequestData.sn_title LIKE '%key%' OR snRequestData.sn_desc LIKE '%key%' )
    Dave

String Search - multiple tables & columns

I edited my query based on your post and it's not giving me the correct results. I know that there should be 25 rows (or ID's) where the string 'key' is found when searching all those columns in the different tables. The table's snRequestData, snAnalysisData, and snWorkDone all have one row associated with a distinct sn_id. However, the table snUserComments has multiple rows with the same sn_id. See image links below to see how those tables are structured. Thanks so much for your help!! I really appreciate it. Have any ideas now that you can see how these tables are structured?

Thank you

snRequestData
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snRequestData.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	16254

snAnalysisData
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snAnalysisData.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	8.1 KB