Unanswered: Upgrading Oracle to SQL - Client Question

I am about to perform an Oracle 9 to SQL 2008 migration and my current system is a set of 4 computers(one Oracle server and 3 Oracle clients) When this upgrade takes place, will I need to purchase 4 SQL licenses and install one on each server? I was told that the best thing about SQL is that you don't have to install a client on each computer that is talking to it. is that true? I'm no database management guy, so please "talk slow" when you reply. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dla051281; 03-19-15 at 23:06.

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm confused by your reference to "SQL 2008".

I'm going to assume that you mean Microsoft SQL Server 2008, which is no longer available for purchase through retail channels because Microsoft no longer supports it. It is a good product, but it is three full versions (and many service packs and patches) behind the current version.

If you do mean Microsoft SQL Server, please respond and I'll move this discussion to the Microsoft SQL Support forum where you'll get better answers than here in the DB2 forum. If you mean something else, please explain and we'll see what we can do to help you!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

MS SQL Server

I am speaking of Microsoft SQL Server 2008. I have a Honeywell Process Control Historian and the newest version supported is SQL Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

Quote Originally Posted by dla051281 View Post
    I am speaking of Microsoft SQL Server 2008. I have a Honeywell Process Control Historian and the newest version supported is SQL Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
    Ouch so your application only supports an operating system and SQL Server that are no longer supported by Microsoft. That's a bit of a challenge. I'd submit the following URLs to Honeywell and request their comments:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20sql%20server

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ilter=FilterNO

These basically tell you that you can no longer buy either product from a Microsoft Authorized Retailer, and that Microsoft will only support these products if you purchase an extended support agreement. If you already have MS-PSS (Microsoft Premier Support Services) this isn't a problem because these products are covered. If you don't have an MS-PSS agreement, I'd estimate a cost of about $250,000 USD per year for both products.

I suspect that Honeywell will support newer versions of both SQL and Windows when you ask them about this. Be sure to get that in writing before you start the upgrade of your system.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

MS SQL Server

Ok. Please answer my original question. Thanks.

If all of the computers are running Microsoft Windows, and you are not concerned about data security, performance, or licensing restrictions then the default ODBC SQL Server driver provided with Windows will allow those computers to access SQL Server 2008.

-PatP

...and you don't need to purchase any client licenses for your 3client boxes.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Provided Answers: 11
    Server licenses, no. If they go with Server/CAL model (assuming SQL Server standard), they may need CALs for the 3 clients (although I think the server license comes with 5 or 10 CALs free), but this is something that should be brought up with the reseller they are working with to make sure they are getting what they need, and stay in compliance.