Unanswered: Best cloud hosted Database software?

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to set up a database to hold product data. For now it will be used for manual searches, but later will be integrated into an app.

Essentially, I need to store product information (name, UPC, price, etc.) for multiple suppliers, and let employees have limited access to upload new information. However, in the future, I'm going to build an app that can reference this data and build reports, pull in new data, etc.

What's the best technology to use? Access is simple but I see drawbacks in the future.

Also, I'm looking to allow multiple users to remotely update it, so cloud hosted DB is a big plus. Also, something that doesn't require monthly fees is a plus too.

Thanks!

I would start off with MYSQL witch offers the features you seem to be looking for with much better growth capabilities than access. It can be hosted locally or remote as your needs grow. This is not a Cloud solution but would allow you to get running while keeping cost down. You may also look into Cloudmysql

Provided Answers: 59
    Best cloud hosted db?
    ...define 'best', best for what purpose?

for a cloud hosted db what really, really matters is hpw your proposed applciatin interacts with it. so thats things like availability, scalability, security and so on. the actual underlying db storage mechanism is largely irrelevant, except that file based storage such as Access Filemaker, Open/Libre Office and even Excel/spreadsheets etc are not good at multi user remote use... so If I were you I'd rule out those immediately. stick to a client server db.

what I suspect really matters is the service part of cloud computing, who is providing/hosting it, how good/bad/indifferent is thier ability to manage your requests (eg their software support), how good their expertese n the fireld is ie ho experimced re they in the sort of things you want to do.

you can probably find a cheap as chips provider styling themselves as a cloud computing service but they may be nothugn more than a web hosting company with delusions. web hostingn can be 'cloud' coimputing, but CC can be a heck of lot ore than web hosting
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks a lot guys!

What would you think of building our database on the Salesforce system, or a standalone system? I think Salesforce is great for keeping all internal data in the same place, but at the same time it locks you into their system. What do you think?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik516 View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to set up a database to hold product data. For now it will be used for manual searches, but later will be integrated into an app.

Essentially, I need to store product information (name, UPC, price, etc.) for multiple suppliers, and let employees have limited access to upload new information. However, in the future, I'm going to build an app that can reference this data and build reports, pull in new data, etc.

What's the best technology to use? Access is simple but I see drawbacks in the future.

Also, I'm looking to allow multiple users to remotely update it, so cloud hosted DB is a big plus. Also, something that doesn't require monthly fees is a plus too.

Thanks!
    Hi sputnik516,

It's hard to define what the "best database" for your scenario should be. The problem is that you don't know yet what your future requirements would be (who does?). As this is a very common problem, I would suggest you start with something simple that can eventually scale with your company.

I think using MySQL would be a complete headache in the future. You WILL eventually need to build some form of custom user interface and play around with building a fully fledged application (security, role based permissions, reporting and more).

The great thing is that there is a plethora of web application builders you could choose from nowadays; in fact I head product management at Fusioo and it would perfectly fit the bill (reporting, linking, scalability). Of course there are more tools that could help you out, some being more friendlier and collaborative than others.

Regarding your "cloud hosted DB" query, yes, most of the upcoming products will be cloud based. This is now a reality and a very efficient distribution channel.

To respond to your other query: All of the best applications require a monthly fee; however, in my opinion, most of them are an absolute bargain as you would be replacing most of your tools, reducing "development" time and saving money on hosting (you'll need a pretty big budget to properly manage replication, security, load balancing and all the geeky stuff).

Hope this helps and best of luck with your project!
    Last edited by andregauci; 12-07-15 at 11:55.