Answered: How to execute any command without wainting for server answer

Hello everybody.

I'm wondering if there is any way for me to execute any type of command (delete, insert, create, alter, etc) on management studio without having to wait the server answer.

On Oracle, I use DBMS_JOB. On SQL Server, do I have to create a SQL SERVER Agent Job? What if I don't have permission to create that kind of jobs?

Thanks!

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Pat Phelan

"Job scheduling and management really isn't a database function. A job scheduler really should be a separate package, and the SQL tasks ought to be a special case of job management. With that said, many modern databases (including both Oracle and SQL Server) have succumbed to "feature creep" and offer some degree of job management.

Oracle offers a rather limited perspective on how to manage asynchronous operations. DBMS_JOB is deprecated, but the DBMS_SCHEDULER offers solid, dependable ways to manage Oracle jobs as long as that model is adequate to the tasks that you need to perform.

SQL Agent is really the comparable tool from the Microsoft SQL Server tool set to Oracle's DBMS_SCHEDULER. SQL Agent offers very comparable features. If you don't have permission to create and schedule jobs, you need to work with your DBA to get those permissions.

Within SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) without using SQL Agent, the solution is to start the command and then open a new command window. This is a "poor man's solution" that meets your requirements but does so rather gracelessly.

-PatP"

Provided Answers: 54
    Job scheduling and management really isn't a database function. A job scheduler really should be a separate package, and the SQL tasks ought to be a special case of job management. With that said, many modern databases (including both Oracle and SQL Server) have succumbed to "feature creep" and offer some degree of job management.

Oracle offers a rather limited perspective on how to manage asynchronous operations. DBMS_JOB is deprecated, but the DBMS_SCHEDULER offers solid, dependable ways to manage Oracle jobs as long as that model is adequate to the tasks that you need to perform.

SQL Agent is really the comparable tool from the Microsoft SQL Server tool set to Oracle's DBMS_SCHEDULER. SQL Agent offers very comparable features. If you don't have permission to create and schedule jobs, you need to work with your DBA to get those permissions.

Within SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) without using SQL Agent, the solution is to start the command and then open a new command window. This is a "poor man's solution" that meets your requirements but does so rather gracelessly.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Ok.
    I was just wondering if there was anything quick and easy to do so.

If it must be by SQL Agent, I'll go that way.

Thanks.