Answered: Ultimate questions

Finally delurking to ask a question...

Do any of you here have the Ultimate version? If so, I'd like to ask some questions about it.

Thanks!
    Gerry

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Tubbritt

"Hi Gerry.

As the guys just said, there's no reason for your customer to loose data when you make updates.

Obviously if you delete a field you will loose all data store in that field across the entire database, but any typical changes like renaming fields, adding more fields, changing the entire design and layout of a form can all be done with no risk to your data.

If you must do a major overhaul of the entire form, a simple option is to clone it and edit the clone version as heavy as you like. This way it's impossible to loose data. You can simply make the new cloned form the default one going forward for new records.

This is also handy if your clients need to look back on very old records. They will be able to see the older records displayed in the old form, as well as the new ones in the new layout. Or you can simply update all past records in one go to the new layout.

With traditional programming, where the database is separate from the code
    You can do that too by using an external SQL database but really there's no need. Given a little time to see how brilliant database handles the data internally, you won't want to use anything external.

How do you Ultimate users handle updates to your applications?
    You take two copies of the same database. Make all the changes you want to one copy, and then you open the second database. You can then sync the second database with the first. This sync can be saved as an update patch.

You then send that update patch to your clients and they can run it and it will update their database to the new design you created. It's a pretty smooth process.

Regards
    James."

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Gerry
    Yes, I have it. From what I can tell, quite of few of us on the forum are using the ultimate version.

Regards
    James

Thanks for the reply, James.

Background: Been a professional developer for nigh on 20 years now. Cut my teeth on VB v1 on up. Now doing web and desktop development with ASP, MVC, and C#. That said, was amazed with the simplicity and potential of Brilliant DB for some pet projects of mine. I don't mind spending money on good tools, but as a one-man shop, I need to spend wisely.

Number one question in my head right now is this:
    If I create and distribute an application made with Ultimate, and later make some updates that affect the schema (add/alter/remove tables).. and I distribute the new version to my users... do they lose their data by installing the new version? If so, any way around this?

With traditional programming, where the database is separate from the code, I could detect an existing database and not overwrite it, but rather run queries on it to update the schema (hopefully non-destructively). How do you Ultimate users handle updates to your applications?

Thanks for the response!

Gerry

You can keep your application and database separately.
    Client will not lose data on update unless you modified the very basic structure.
    Through ultimate version you can create an update file and send to cutomers.Customers simply execute it through their existing database update command.

Provided Answers: 2
    Hi Gerry,

As Tubbritt mention, most of us are using ultimate version. Bd has a lot of potential and have capabilities to create, distribute and secure your end applications.
    Regarding upgrades, are kind of tricky since a form always need to be involved even if nothing has been upgraded in the form.

But always there will be good people in this forum that can give us a hand when we need it.

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Gerry.

As the guys just said, there's no reason for your customer to loose data when you make updates.

Obviously if you delete a field you will loose all data store in that field across the entire database, but any typical changes like renaming fields, adding more fields, changing the entire design and layout of a form can all be done with no risk to your data.

If you must do a major overhaul of the entire form, a simple option is to clone it and edit the clone version as heavy as you like. This way it's impossible to loose data. You can simply make the new cloned form the default one going forward for new records.

This is also handy if your clients need to look back on very old records. They will be able to see the older records displayed in the old form, as well as the new ones in the new layout. Or you can simply update all past records in one go to the new layout.

With traditional programming, where the database is separate from the code
    You can do that too by using an external SQL database but really there's no need. Given a little time to see how brilliant database handles the data internally, you won't want to use anything external.

How do you Ultimate users handle updates to your applications?
    You take two copies of the same database. Make all the changes you want to one copy, and then you open the second database. You can then sync the second database with the first. This sync can be saved as an update patch.

You then send that update patch to your clients and they can run it and it will update their database to the new design you created. It's a pretty smooth process.

Regards
    James.

Thank you to all three of you for taking the time to respond. I continue to be impressed by the community here, and amazed at the "little things" BDB does. You've set my mind at ease with regard to using BDB as a viable commercial platform, at least with regard to updating the end-user.

Thank you again!

Gerry

New question: Can an application compiled with Ultimate connect to a remote (internet) database in multiuser mode? The idea is an app that allows users to collaboratively edit a single, internet hosted database. Would the compiled binary be sufficient for the end users, or would they need the Workplace edition?

Thank you again for your time.

Provided Answers: 59
    New question, new thread please. Dems der rules.
    ...It helps others who may have similar questions find answers in the future.
    Given that you have already selected a best answer others may not revisit this thread to help out.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by iotech View Post
    New question: Can an application compiled with Ultimate connect to a remote (internet) database in multiuser mode? The idea is an app that allows users to collaboratively edit a single, internet hosted database. Would the compiled binary be sufficient for the end users, or would they need the Workplace edition?

Thank you again for your time.
    No need of work place edition. The compiled application is sufficient for all your needs.
    Collecting the data over internet on mutiuser mode is possible but my personal experience is bad due to slow brilliant database. If you achieve one you may post here.
    Regards
    Asokram