Unanswered: Advice on how to handle expanding tables

I tried searching for this topic - its probably out there and I'm missing the right terminology in my search.

I need help/guidance on how to best set up tables for 3-d data handling. I'm a novice/ amateur programmer.

The situation: In our products database, we have multiple product categories and multiple features. Each feature has multiple options within it. FeatureA table has a Boolean field (column) for each product category indicating if that particular feature option is available for that product category.

For instance: Product category A is, say, Wheels. Product category B is say, Balls. Feature 1 is Color. Color options available are, say White and Brown. Color.Wheel.White is true, Color.Wheel.Brown = False, Color.Ball.White is true, etc. This is currently set up as a table called Color with fieldA being Wheels and Field B being Balls. A simple table, right? A second feature is Size. Options might be 1" and 2". So we have Size.Wheel.1" = true or Size.Ball.2" = false (2" balls are not offered).

The problem is that we keep adding new product categories as our business grows. This means manually adding a new field/column to each of these 12 or so feature tables (color, size, material, weight capacity, etc.) AND adding new checkboxes to each of the 12 forms where we can set the true/false flags.

is there better way to store this data so that we can easily add to the product categories? It's like trying to expand the 3rd dimension.

I'm looked at 3-d arrays, and all the examples are great at showing how to programmatically create the array and add data, but I can't find how to efficiently store the 3D's of data in tables.

As mentioned above, part of my problem solving this has been my inability to articulate the search terms for this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Matt
    Matt Wilcox
    Casters & Wheels at www.apollocaster.com
    www.apollocaster.com/store

Provided Answers: 59
    consider the sub/super type model
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    consider the sub/super type model
    This is possible in MS access VBA?
    Matt Wilcox