Thread: Remote Database

Answered: Remote Database

Hi,

How can we know the remote database adress ? I tried with database on the same pc than bdb like ''c:/..... '' style adress but not working. And for server adress how can we know all the database path?

Is it possible to use shared database without the use of bdb server ??

Thanks

Martin

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Tubbritt

"I'm confused...

The question being asked was “Is it possible to use shared database without the use of bdb server”.

If so, then the answer is NO. Only the Server Edition (with workplace licenses) or the Ultimate Edition (with compiled apps for clients) can share a database on a network with other users.

As for the drive letter, users accessing a shared database don't connect to a database using a path at all, they connect ONLY by IP address and port number. The actual path is never used by connecting clients. Only the PC running the Server or Ultimate Edition opens the actual file located at the true path.

Regards
    James"

Provided Answers: 24
    Server address:

\\server\folder\folder\file.mdb

''N:'' Letter as server i guess ?

Provided Answers: 8
    yes that if it been map

just a note

\\server\folder1\folder2\folder3\file.mdb

the N: could be pointing to the folder2

so

N:\folder3\file.mdb what you see.

but the server see
    \\server\folder1\folder2\folder3\file.mdb
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Provided Answers: 2
    Database can be share with up to 16 connections at the time using database share tool. The PC that will work as server must share and launch the monitor tool. After db is shared, an ip address and port number will be provided to share with end users. Keep in mind that Optimal number of networked computers is from 2 to 16.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monitor.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	16302

Provided Answers: 59
    to clarify myles answer
    N:/myfile.db indicates that drive N on this computer is mapped to a physical server address //myserver/path/to/files

so using N: is fine AS LONG AS EVERY computer that needs to access that file has the same physical location mapped as drive N:, but you cannot EVER truly rely on that. always map to a server share
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 2
    Are you are planning to share the database to one single user at the time?
    If you do, then share the folder and create a map drive on remote pc's. Then open your db by opening the map drive on remote location.

If you are planing to share database with multiple users at the same time, then use the share tool from bd. Remote users need to "Open Remote Database" and assign ip address and port number (provided by server application when database is shared)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	connect db.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	16303

Make sure that remote pc's have brilliant database or developed end product installed.

Thanks to all of you! You're clearly explain. I'll make some other test with bdb server trial version before to buy a serial.

Ho yeah just another question, Is it necessary to use login in shared mode or if only administrator mode is create, is the other user will be administrator by default ?

thanks alot,
    Martin

Provided Answers: 17
    I'm confused...

The question being asked was “Is it possible to use shared database without the use of bdb server”.

If so, then the answer is NO. Only the Server Edition (with workplace licenses) or the Ultimate Edition (with compiled apps for clients) can share a database on a network with other users.

As for the drive letter, users accessing a shared database don't connect to a database using a path at all, they connect ONLY by IP address and port number. The actual path is never used by connecting clients. Only the PC running the Server or Ultimate Edition opens the actual file located at the true path.

Regards
    James

Thanks James.

i'd try all kind of path but nothing. it's better to use only the ip adress - but bdb workplace or Professional must be same version than bdb server to work.

Thanks Again

Martin