Unanswered: MySQL Web-based Client with spreadsheet capabilities?

Hi all -- I've been scouring the web for a web-based editor client for a cloud MySQL database that we're about to put into production in the new future.

The issue is that we have a bunch of people on the data team that's mostly used to using Excel, so we need to find a solution that's relatively easy to use and train people in the new system. But we do work with large data sets, so we need something that will allow people to update large swaths of data at a time (instead of one by one as most clients do) without having to write complex queries. Is there something out there on the market right now that will allow us to do something like this? I've scoured the web quite a bit at this point but so far nothing seems to fit our needs at this point in time.

The Excel to MySQL editor tool by Oracle works pretty well for what it is, although the issue with it is that it's pretty slow and it's likely to break the system once people start querying tables that are larger than 1million in size. (A limitation on Excel itself.) If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Provided Answers: 59
    so if they are already using Excel, then why not use queries within Excel, then pass the updated data tp the back end, again usign queries. It wouldnt' be my first choice to use a spreadsheet as a front end tool, precislkey becuase you cannot truly constrain what the users dom what they inadvertnently or maliciouisly tinker with, but it should do the job
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    so if they are already using Excel, then why not use queries within Excel, then pass the updated data tp the back end, again usign queries. It wouldnt' be my first choice to use a spreadsheet as a front end tool, precislkey becuase you cannot truly constrain what the users dom what they inadvertnently or maliciouisly tinker with, but it should do the job
    Well, we're eventually going to have to migrate away from Excel in general since we're likely to hit the 1million row limit very soon on many of our data sets. But since I'm in charge of the transition I'd like to try to make it as smooth as possible, although at this point I don't know if it's possible to do without having to train people directly on how to use MySQL/SQL queries. (It's likely to be very painful, I'd imagine.)

This server does not interact with the live site so I think that'll help a bit, but I do understand the concerns about giving users too much power to edit things in bulk. At this point, though, we do need the ability to edit a lot of things very quickly since we're always racing against the clock.

Provided Answers: 59
    why would a 1 million row dataset affect your ability to handle data from within a spreadsheet...use a query to get the rows you want and only the rows you want), when you want, use another query to update the data that has changed.

if you are genuinely concerned about 1 million row limit, then no off the shelf web based spreadhseet interface will do the job for you either.

if you must, ,must, must have a pure web based interface then it should be relatively trivial to 'knock up' this sort of arrangement using a web scripting language such as PHP or similar. there are clienrt libraries that will do this such as phpgrid, freegrid and so on
    https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...php%20datagrid
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 6
    What about passing the queries from an access web front end (office 365). You can host on one drive and upload to sharepoint or other platforms. You can build your form / sub forms this would give you some flexibility to update without botching the updates through using scripting / SQL, just in case they forget the where clause.