Thread: access security

Unanswered: access security

is there a way to securely block the access of user to tables/queries, else in Microsoft Access?
    thank you
    I asked god to please give me everything to enjoy the life, God said: i gave you the life to enjoy everything.

Provided Answers: 59
    what versiojn of Access are you using
    what version of JET are you using

tying down JET data thoroughly and effectivley is tricky, it can be done using a mix of tools within JET (allocating permissions.
    and tools int he operating system (eg onlyumaking specific areas available to specific user groups
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    Also, like most security scenarios, how you go about it depends on who/what you're trying to secure it from. Are you simply trying to prevent an idle end user from being nosy and noodling around in the database, possibly messing something up...or are you trying to keep a skilled hacker from deliberately accessing/modifying your data?

And since you're talking about a multi-user environment, the database should already be configured as a split database, with the Tables/Data in a Back End on a shared drive, and everything else in the Front End, with a copy on each user's PC. This would limit a user to modifying only the Queries on their copy of the Front End, not on anyone else's copy.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    Are you simply trying to prevent an idle end user from being nosy and noodling around in the database, possibly messing something up...or are you trying to keep a skilled hacker from deliberately accessing/modifying your data?
    I have already hidden the navigation pane and ribbon through options. But I am trying to stop a normal person from being able to view tables by checking the appropriate boxes in the options. If they view the tables, they can change the data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    And since you're talking about a multi-user environment, the database should already be configured as a split database, with the Tables/Data in a Back End on a shared drive, and everything else in the Front End, with a copy on each user's PC. This would limit a user to modifying only the Queries on their copy of the Front End, not on anyone else's copy.
    But if they open the navigation pane and ribbon they still can see the tables through their shortcuts and make changes to data.

Is there a way that we make the “option” to be out of reach of the user or make it password protected? I want the user to be restricted to work through forms and buttons.
    I asked god to please give me everything to enjoy the life, God said: i gave you the life to enjoy everything.

Provided Answers: 7
    You have to Build the Password to view

the 2010 I do

DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Ribbon", acToolbarNo
    DoCmd.NavigateTo "acNavigationCategoryObjectType"
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdWindowHide
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by myle View Post
    You have to Build the Password to view

the 2010 I do

DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Ribbon", acToolbarNo
    DoCmd.NavigateTo "acNavigationCategoryObjectType"
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdWindowHide
    thank you very much,
    where shall i put these codes? sorry for being so basic in access. are these a macro or VBA or something like that? i only have seen VBA for forms and reports but i dot know where i should put your codes.
    thank you

Provided Answers: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by ariansman View Post
    thank you very much,
    where shall i put these codes? sorry for being so basic in access. are these a macro or VBA or something like that? i only have seen VBA for forms and reports but i dot know where i should put your codes.
    thank you

in the onload of the form
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

thank you Myle
    in my access file there is a form which is loaded as the main file is opened. i put your code in the onload of this form. did i do a right job? can we instead put the code somewhere not dependent on a form? i mean in the VBA of the main access file. does such a thing exist?

i am thinking to disable the shift bybass and also F11. so i am thinking how can i myself get to the database to edit it or make new forms and reports it in future!!