Unanswered: Inventory Balance in excel

Hello all,

I have a spreadsheet with inventory balances of many items in one column (D, 'Current (2015)'), and 3 other columns (E, F, G) dedicated to different field surveys that will all be using inventory from D. I would ideally like to have the value that is entered in any given survey column subtracted from the total inventory number in column D. I can't think of how to do this right in excel without creating a circular reference, and I am not versed in any language enough to write code.

I'd like to add an example of my spreadsheet but I can't seem to figure out how... ?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    -Jeanette

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm pretty sure that you need two balance columns, one for you to enter the beginning balance, and one for you to compute the ending balance.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you need two balance columns, one for you to enter the beginning balance, and one for you to compute the ending balance.

-PatP
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.. Don't know why I was stuck on keeping only one column there!

Provided Answers: 6
    Jeanette:

Like Pat mentioned you could create another column for your calc.

Such as

E is your total quantity, then you have F G and H. Let's say you want to put this calc column in D you could put something like this in that column.

Code:
    =IF(OR(F2=F2,G2=G2,H2=H2),E2-SUM(F2:H2))