Provided Answers: 1

Answered: Moving records to another identical table using SQL keeping relationships

Hi there everyone,
    I have two tables one with prospect data [Prospects] and another that tracks call results [Results]. When the result of a call to prospect ends with a decline or bad number, those prospects are moved to a table called Rejections.

Since the Call Results form uses a combo to select the prospect from the [Prospects]table and therefore has a relationship, how do I move unwanted prospects to the other table [Rejections] while keeping the relationship with the [call result] table in tact using an SQL Query?

Thanks for all your help.
    I am a complete Novice...:-)

Darren

2. Best Answer
    Posted by DDEWILDE

"
    Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    Not really sure what you mean by 'keeping the relationship intact,' but most developers would not have a 'Rejections' table; instead they would have a Yes/No Field named something like...Rejected...and simply tick it if a call is rejected. You'd then filter Forms or Reports to no longer display any Records where Rejected = True.

Linq ;0)>
    Dear Missingling,

Strangely enough I done exactly what you suggested before getting this reply. I created a Yes/No column called rejected then in the row source of the combo I amended the criteria to not display any true values in that column. Much easier. Is there any code I can use in the AfterUpdate event on a combo on the result form that will check the box in the Prospecting table automatically..

For instance the combo Results contains possible call results so if I select "Not Interested" in the combo how can I then cause the Rejected box in the Prospects Table to change to true? Also if I did this do I use requery to cause the current form Results to update with the prospects that were rejected so they won't show up in the Prospect combo or do I always have to close and reopen the form?.

Many thanks indeed for your help.
    Darren"

Provided Answers: 19
    Not really sure what you mean by 'keeping the relationship intact,' but most developers would not have a 'Rejections' table; instead they would have a Yes/No Field named something like...Rejected...and simply tick it if a call is rejected. You'd then filter Forms or Reports to no longer display any Records where Rejected = True.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 1

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post

Linq ;0)>
    Dear Missingling,

Strangely enough I done exactly what you suggested before getting this reply. I created a Yes/No column called rejected then in the row source of the combo I amended the criteria to not display any true values in that column. Much easier. Is there any code I can use in the AfterUpdate event on a combo on the result form that will check the box in the Prospecting table automatically..

For instance the combo Results contains possible call results so if I select "Not Interested" in the combo how can I then cause the Rejected box in the Prospects Table to change to true? Also if I did this do I use requery to cause the current form Results to update with the prospects that were rejected so they won't show up in the Prospect combo or do I always have to close and reopen the form?.

Many thanks indeed for your help.
    Darren