Question Unanswered: Help on some issues

Hi

I have created a client form with a sub client, a inspection form with a drop down box which is populated from the client form

the issue I have is that I need the clients name and address to show on the invoice on the report page.

I also need to export a number of reports as pdf docs and some xml information in one e-mail ( can this be done?)

if a field is changed. can the software be set up to automatically send an e-mail to advise the client of the change.

Provided Answers: 17
    I have created a client form with a sub client, a inspection form with a drop down box which is populated from the client form

the issue I have is that I need the clients name and address to show on the invoice on the report page.
    The main way to populate in Invoice Report with customers details is to use a “simple relation” field to first create a link to the customer you want to send the invoice to.

For example, this “simple relation” field once clicked will simply populate it's self with the company name of your client from your Clients folder. Once that link is made to the specific customer, you can now run a recordset on the simple relation field to pull every piece of other information on your customer automatically into the invoice form fields.

This in turn then allows you to populate your Report with the information you need.

Doing this all depends on your current database design.

I also need to export a number of reports as pdf docs and some xml information in one e-mail ( can this be done?)
    Kind of....

You cannot “export” directly to a PDF file ( I do hope to see this in ver 11 though as it's long overdue), and Virtual Printers are not ideal in this case as they require so many external settings to be entered.

The only way to do this fully within the control of brilliant database is to export to a HTML file (with images if you like) and you can use a command line HTML to PDF converter like this one.... http://wkhtmltopdf.org/ to convert your html into a pdf file from inside brilliant database.

All this can be scripted inside brilliant database if you place the exe and dll file of the HTML to PDF app in a sub folder of your “myfiles” folder that is created by default.

It works, but it's a rather sloppy hack to get brilliant database to do this and it can be kind of slow running.

My 2 cents, best to wait until v11 is release to see if PDF support is finally officially added or to consider attaching your reports as HTML files.

if a field is changed. can the software be set up to automatically send an e-mail to advise the client of the change.
    Yes, you can use “On Edit” to run any function at all that brilliant database has to offer.

Regards
    James.

Thumbs up Thanks

I will try this today as I need to also link a sql data base from another software also.

Cheers for your help