Unanswered: inserting records

I would like to insert lines (records) in list/tabel-view, in Access or Filemaker 10 (this is what I currently use),
    so that I can keep matching records together when I add them.
    Adding new records at the bottom and sorting the list is not practical for me.
    Is this possible?
    If not in Access/Filemaker, is there maybe other software that allows this?

Chris

Provided Answers: 59
    sorting is the answer to the problem you mention
    there's several separate concepts here

one is how you store the data
    one is how you retrieve / manipulate the data
    one is how you present the data

how you store the data, well in a RDBMS such as Access/JET or Filemaker, or virtually any SQL based datastorage mechanism that is up to you, but you would be sensible to use normalisation as the key principle behind the design
    ..that means having separate tables for distinct logical groups of data. no duplication of data (eg if your system matches invoices against deliveries you'd have a table for suppliers and use the primary key of that table in the orders / deliveries from that supplier NOT the name of the supplier

how you retrieve / manipulate the data is down to queries in a SQL database. in the query you define waht columns you want, from what tables, matching what criteria in what order. sounds complicated, but its not.
    you say you are matching data, well as a rough guide you can write a query that attempts to matc h certain values in one table with certain values in another table. the data returned can be
    ...rows that match
    ..rows that match in oine table but not found in another table (or vice versa )
    ..rows that have no match and nothing in either matching values.
    sounds complex, but it doesn't need to be there are query wizards that will do that for you, ASSUMING your basic table design is right.

how you present the data is again up to you. In Access you can use a form or report, that form or report is based on a query/queries, which are based ont he table design. i would always advise against datasheet type presentation and equally always advise against entering data directly into a table, use a form for data entry /data manipulation and a report or from for reporting.. thats the Access way, and the tools provided in Access make it easy to generate reports and forms.

Access, and filemaker tend to blur the lines between these 3 steps, but thats becuase they do these steps in background without you neccesarily realising it. Personally I never 'got on' with Fielmaker, it hid too much of what was going on and wouldnt' allow me to do what I needed to do. it was trying to hard to be 'user friendly' / ooh that looks pretty and came between me and the data. but your experience of Filemaker may be better, and things have moved on since I last looked at Filemaker.

how you design that really depends on how you see things, what your requirements are and how prepared are you to do the spadework required.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

inserting lines

Thanks for such a comprehensive answer.
    I just want to make a list of people (with data about each person). If a couple on my list are getting a baby I would like to add this child under de names of the parrents, not at the bottom of a long list. I dont think a query can make an overview where the child would end up at the right place - under the parrents.
    So, as far as I understand, it's not possible to do this simple task with database software.
    Maybe I can do this in exel, but than I have the feeling I'm using the wrong kind of software. (like doing dtp-layout in exel).

regards
    Chris

Provided Answers: 59
    a database byitself won't do what you want... its too flexible, too powerfull. you need to constrain that or provide guidance. in tyhe Access world you do that through the steps ouytlined above.
    so design your tables
    design your queires
    design your forms and reports
    ...like most systems projects you wil lneed to revisit tthe tbales, queries and so on as you refine your form and report designs

int her Access worl you are usually better at having one form per table, but you can embed a subform within another form. in this case thats probabloy the best way to implement the family / child design youi seem to be lookign for,

yes you coudl do this in excel, but yes its also probabloy the ';wrong' mechanism. however if thats all yu've got, and all the skills you've got then usign a spreadhseet may be the anwer to your needs. very rarely is there only ever 'one' answer to these sort of issues often its constrained by the skills available, the budget, the time, the intended use.

if it was only me using the data or people I trusted then if its a quick and dirty need I tend to use to spreadsheets int he first instance. but if the needs become more complex or people I dont' know or trust entering data then very quickly i drop spreadheets in favour of a more constrained data entry / reporting medium such as Access where there is tight integration between the forms/reports and the underlying data
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton