Unanswered: Assess synonym through linked server

Hello All,
    I am trying to write a stored procedure on my server (A) to query data from a remote server (B). I have created a linked server to the remote server. The remote server also has a linked server to another server (C). Synonyms are created on server B. My task is to query these synonyms. Is this possible? I wrote the following but it's throwing an error;

create procedure pr_test
    as
    select top 1 * from STAR.LIFE.dbo.websvr_view_beneficiaries

where STAR is the linked server on my server (A), LIFE is the database name on server B and websvr_view_beneficiaries is the synonym on server B

The error I get is "The OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI11" for linked server "STAR" does not contain the table ""LIFE"."dbo"."websvr_view_beneficiaries"". The table either does not exist or the current user does not have permissions on that table."

Any help will be appreciated

Provided Answers: 54
    Use OpenQuery() to allow you to access all of the syntax features (such as synonyms) on a remote database server.

Based on your example, I'd use:
    Code:
    SELECT *
       FROM OpenQuery(STAR, 'SELECT TOP 1 *
          FROM LIFE.dbo.websvr_view_beneficiaries')
    Also double check to be sure that the Linked Server Login has permission to access to the synonym.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.