Unanswered: Problems with Brilliant Database

Hi all
    I have a few problems and tried to solve it myself and at this stage I would appreciate if I could get some help.

The hardware that I use is of a good quality and I have more than enough memory and speed.

1. If I share the database to the other 5 users and I want to move or delete a record then the database through all the connected users from the database.
    I do not get any error on the server, only the users get a run time error.

2. If I run small queries and print it is not a problem but when I tried to print two bigger queries one after the other then the database just closed.
    The queries run without a problem, the problem is when I click the print button the processing then starts for a while and then it seems it ran out of memory.
    If I print and close the database and restart the database and print again then it's working fine.

Hope I can get someone to help me in this regard

Hennie

Hi Hennie,
    about 1: Problem since version 8. Multiuser and some functions cause a run time error. Possible Source: Database engine inside Brilliant Database.

about 2: Brilliant Database is a 32 bit Application. Memory feeing after printing and some other activities (not reproducable) cause this problem.

Solving 1 + 2: Maybe Brilliant Database 11 fix it...

Greetings

Thank you, hope V11 will fix all the bugs !! . . . said that, the due date for V. 11 is tomorrow!!!

I don't think so.
    It is only the second extension of the release date.
    Maybe October/November ???

Provided Answers: 17
    You should send them an email to let them know as they may not be working on anything new Network wise in v11.

While I personally don't have any problems with Networking “now”, it wasn't always like that. The Networking function is too sensitive to interruptions. It can be a worry to setup and deal with. Any database I have that runs over a network does auto backups very regularly. Often ever 4 hours and I've needed to go back to those backups far too often over the years. Something simple as the server auto rebooting to install Windows Updates while users are connected is enough to corrupt the entire database.

I wouldn't be waiting for v11 in the hope that fixes anything. Chances are v11 is still many months away from being released.

Regards
    James

James,

in the past I have used Brilliant Database via Network. Normal problems are
    - counter are loosing numbers
    - relational fields have links to other customer contents
    - not complete stored information
    - corrupt database

Most worse error was with a CRM System I have done.
    Call records from one customer have been stored at another customer and order information have not been stored completely or at another customer.

I have tested Version 8 and 9 for a invoice database as multiuser application. The problems I have found have been to much for using Brilliant Database for this application. Creating an invoice and getting something else back on printing and something else weeks later on printing a copy of the invoice - not a good way for a invoicing software.

I have asked in the past for a transaction storage model to prevent a lot of problem in network usage. No response, old errors still existing.

A lot of my customers are asking me for using another software. The ADB Engine is not reliable enough for my customers. I must test which problems will come in Version 11 but asking for changings have been done enough in the past, even asking for replacing ADB or enabling using of Firebird as Database engine.

Now I will see what happens and make decissions.

Anybody thougts on cowdfounding a fork of Brilliant Database (containing its own Webserver, a reliable Database, 32+64 bit, Win/Linux, etc.)?

Provided Answers: 17
    in the past I have used Brilliant Database via Network. Normal problems are
    Ouch... that's sounds serious. Thankfully I've never experience anything as serious myself. Information for one record making it's way into another would be a show stopper for me. I couldn't use the system if that ever happened. Dealing with the corruption of files I do get is enough to worry about.

Anybody thougts on cowdfounding a fork of Brilliant Database (containing its own Webserver, a reliable Database, 32+64 bit, Win/Linux, etc.)?
    I would like to see “Something / Anything” happening. Brilliant Database is a mighty powerful program but there is no doubt in my mind, Mikhail has a full time job doing something else and Brilliant Database is only something he's doing in his spare time. Which he seems to have very little of.

The program is at the point where it needs to go Major. Investors are needed to take this to the next level. It's far too big for one man to support in his free time. Mikhail is clearly an awesome programmer. He just needs an investor to support him I think. Someone that can let Mikhail do what he does best while the investor takes care of support and promotion.

Regards
    James

The program is at the point where it needs to go Major. Investors are needed to take this to the next level
    Sorry, no.

You have posted an information about 1000 hits in a search and a possible memory overflow.

I know these problems from the old days where isam files have been used as database. A well know problem if you haven't take care about memory limits (around 25 years ago this was more problematic as these days).

This let me presume, that the database engine (ADB) which maybe come from the TCL/TK world - see some posts back in the past - has still these problems. If this is true it would be needed to re-write the data storage part of the software.

I don't think that an investor would invest in this. It could be cheaper for an investor for a complete redo of the software. Brilliantdatabase is more or less a bulk of
    - Dynamic GUI Elements, controlled by field definitions in the database
    - Interpreter Formular, controlled by formular definitions in the database
    - Pre definied function set
    - Database engine with own database server logic
    - Report designer
    - File wrapper to "compile" complete applications

It is not a complete compiler or interpreter because you can only use pre-definied functions.

From the technical point of view the software MyVisualDatabase - which is more complex and more flexible to program - seems to has a higher level of functions and technology. And - which can make it to a showstopper for Brilliant Database - it uses a accepted reliable database. SQLite is also used in Android and some industrial and business applications. At the moment I am using for myself an accounting software which works with SQLite as database. At this moment I would not trust Brilliant Database enough for storing accounting data and explain to tax authorities like the HM Revenue & Customs differences in the reports.

I wonder at which point MyVisualDatabase will add visual programming tools like Brilliant Database.

Mikhail is clearly an awesome programmer. He just needs an investor to support him I think. Someone that can let Mikhail do what he does best while the investor takes care of support and promotion.
    Fully ageed, but an Investor should also tell him where systematic problems can ruin the future of the software.

I stopped using Brilliant because it is unreliable.

I outsource my work at great expensive currently.

MyVisualDatabase has a great thing going but needs more Brilliant DB in it before I buy into MyVisual.

Maybe we can all come to consensus and crowdfund him to make software that suites our needs.
    Last edited by cplanet; 06-15-15 at 13:02.

Provided Answers: 1
    nice idea about crowdfunding myvisual database, in order to make it a nice brilliant copy...

i would like to do this with brilliant (fund)... anybody has a friend in russia than could be in touch with mikhail?

fer