Unanswered: Correct Way to Split a Microsot Access Database

Hello All,

I am in need of splitting my database and have a couple of questions so that I can split the database in order to get the BEST performance possible.

I have the database on a server. Should I split the database directly on the server and save the back-end on my local hard drive OR should I split the database on the server and leave the back-end on the server?

Once the database is split, do I remove the tables from the front-end of the database and just leave the forms/queries/macros in the front-end OR do I have to leave all objects in both the front-end and back-end of the database?

Provided Answers: 14
    Never share the front-end. Store the back-end on the server and store a copy of the front-end on each computer using the database.
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 24
    Split on server so the db paths will remain in the FE.

Provided Answers: 19
    There's a download here that might help:

Sharing an Access Database

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    There's a download here that might help:

Sharing an Access Database

Linq ;0)>
    Thank you all for responding. I will do exactly as suggested. I will split the database on the server to maintain the file path. I will have the user copy the FE on his desktop. I am also downloading the "Sharing an Access Database" you provided Missinglinq. Thank you.

Now, after I split the database and before I request the user to copy the FE onto his desktop, do I remove the tables from the FE or leave the FE in tack?

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by mlrnet View Post

Now, after I split the database and before I request the user to copy the FE onto his desktop, do I remove the tables from the FE or leave the FE in tack?
    If you used the built in Database Splitter, within Access, it takes care of this automatically, so leave the Front Ebd intact! You'll see the Tables listed, in the Navigation Pane, but they'll have a Plus Sign by each name. If you Right-Click on the name of one of them and click on Design View, Access will inform you that the Table is linked and cannot be modified. To modify it, you have to go to the Back End.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 7
    I would point the Frount end to the backend by UNC name (think that what its called)

point to the \\servename\Datafolder$\data.mdb

where the datafolder is hidden but everybody needs write access

one of the nice point doing it this way is users can't see it and there fore DELETE IT.
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.