Unanswered: Got a job that uses SQL server, foolish for me to accept?

I have used sql in Access some. you dont really need to in that program much.

But i have done/used all the basics in this before on the job except some of the table building features.

I was offered a really good job at a top company that uses Sql server and sql management studio to pull the data.

The way i think i got it, is because all of the analysis they have done, i have personally done myself in Access. and the sql skills never came up to much.

So, if i give myself a month prior to starting, do you think if i cram 3 hours a day for that month. I can get up to speed to functionally do the job some on day 1. and with my continuing studying be good to go 2-3 months in?

or is this just foolish on my half?

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    Without knowing a whole lot more about the opportunity and your skill set there is no way for me to authoritatively answer your question. Without actually trying, there is no way to empirically answer your question.

Based on the way that you write and the experience that you already have, I'd bet that you'll be Ok. The hardest part that I think you'll face is "un-learning" the bad habits that you have probably picked up from using MS-Access in single user mode... Many of the things that make perfect sense and you take for granted in MS-Access are pitfalls in any multi-user database.

As a side note, I constantly plug Pluralsight. I can't recommend them highly enough for someone in your position, where you have a fair bit to learn in a short period of time. Pluralsight offers truly world-class training, in a very convenient form!

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 6
    What's the worst thing that can happen you get fired and lose some data? It's not like you are putting stints in cardiac patients or repairing the spine for someone who could potentially be paralyzed. Get in there and learn, do the best you can and let everything else happen as it may.

You'll do fine.

Provided Answers: 10
    It depends if you like the deep end or not.
    Personally, I love the challenge. But I have found, without exception, that the deep end isn't that deep at all... makes you wonder what the fuss is all about!
    Home | Blog

on the wrong server
    Provided Answers: 6
    If I am not in the southern end of the Marianna trench I get bored. This is the nature of the career path. I am 40 and I am spending any spare time I have learning Hadoop and getting reacquainted with Analysis Services, and I am finally going to put in the time to learn MDX querying. All for projects that have deliverables this year. If you do software development correctly, you are always learning something new because there is always something new to learn to keep up with the kids. When I take a new job or project, I rarely have every skill I need at the beginning of the project. if I did, it would get boring.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.