Provided Answers: 6

Unanswered: db2 snapshot restore to new db in other instance

DB2 10.5 FP 5 on Suse Linux using Netapp
    We are considering implementing snapshot backups on our production database and would like, as part of that, to be able to restore to a db in another instance/server. I'm familiar with cross node restores using TSM but when I had a look at the db2acsutil command and other doco I can't see how to make the snapshot backup available for the restore in another location or is it 'normally' always available - seems a bit insecure - does it require a shared ACS repository?
    Andy

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use hammer.” — IBM maintenance manual, 1975 "

snapshot on netapp, BACKUP ..... USE SCRIPT <-script-name>

Here also running DB2 with database LUN's on NetApp (MetroCluster sync-mirror two datacenters)
    I am running DB2 9.7 LUW Windows, no ACS, als no TSM.

I did some (non-Prod) successfull testings with home-brew scripting and NetApp snapshots however.
    essentially: issueing a "DB2 write suspend , then a ssh logon session to the NetApp filer issuing the snapshot commands for the all involved database LUN's/Qtree, followed by a "DB2 write resume".
    (NetApp doesn't have a server-based tool for DB2, like they do have for f.i. MS-SQL and MS Exchange: SnapManager for MS-SQL, SnapManager for Exchange, to easily make (manual or scheduled) snapshot(s), including restoring the snapshots ; that's why we have to do it with own scripting, that actually does the same thing)

In our case, in a NetApp MetroCluster setup, always all LUN's are in-sync on two netapp filers in two datacenters. So no risk involved that the 'backup' snapshot is on one filer, one datacenter, alone. But even that can be taken care of : after the "snapshot" is taken, one can "snapvault" that data : On another netapp filer, in a second/third datacenter, one simply (async) grabs that data
    and can re-sync (increment data cnages only).

Starting DB2 10.1 (or 10.5) LUW, there is another NEW cool feature ( I would say, it might replace ACS) , that in theory will work on ALL brand storages (IBM, HDS, NetApp, etc.), it's way more flexible. DB2's native backup command now has an option:

BACKUP ..... USE SCRIPT <-script-name>
    RESTORE .... USE SCRIPT <-script-name>

Because it's native, the backup command will take care of ' freezing' the database (no manual 'write suspend/ resume' needed); All needed commands is in the script

Not sure what scripts are allready available. I think IBM, of course ,predelivers scripts for it's own brand storage and also HDS.
    So far, I didnt get my hands on a script for NetApp (incl. the old IBM N-Series branded NetApp filer), but surely they are available (either IBM, NetApp, or another customer, maybe, or: make your own script, with the proper "snapshot commands for your brand storage)

regards,
    Erwin Hattingh

Provided Answers: 6
    On this topic, we've implemented the snapshot outside of Db2 via Netapp and the snapshot is then cloned. A couple of scripts do the db2relocatedb, db2inidb and a rfwd to get the clone operational. The clone is simply a SAS query only db and is reconstructed each day. Not a big db but we can get it all done in around 15 mins instead of a backup/restore of a couple of hours.
    Andy

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use hammer.” — IBM maintenance manual, 1975 "