Thread: Help with code

Answered: Help with code

What I am trying to do is when the form opens it checks to see who is logged in then automatically fills in the users last name into current database from the system log in information I keep getting a runtime error 3251

Here is the code
    No code has to be inserted here.

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Sinndho

"
    Code:
    Private Sub OfficerLast()

Dim dbs As DAO.Database
        Dim rst As DAO.Recordset

Set dbs = CurrentDb
        Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("System Login")
        rst.FindFirst "[Login Status] = '*Yes*'" ' Can the [Login Status] contain the litteral value *Yes* or do you mean:
                                                 '
                                                 ' rst.FindFirst "[Login Status] Like '*Yes*'" ?
                                                 '
        If rst.NoMatch Then
            MsgBox "No Officer Logged In to the System"
        Else
            [Login Status] = Yes                 ' What's [Login Status]
                                                 '
                                                 ' a) A column in the [System Login] table
                                                 '    In such a case you should use:
                                                 '
                                                 '    Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("System Login", dbOpenDynaset)
                                                 '    - - -
                                                 '    Else
                                                 '        rst.Edit
                                                 '        rst![Login Status] = "Yes"    ' Unless Yes is the name of a variable.
                                                 '        rst.Update
                                                 '   - - -
                                                 '
                                                 ' b) A control on the form
                                                 '    In such a case and to prevent any ambiguity you should use:
                                                 '
                                                 '    Me![Login Status] = "Yes"    ' Unless Yes is the name of a variable.
                                                 '
            rst.FindFirst "[Officer Last Name] = [Officer Last Name]"   ' We can suppose that [Officer Last Name] is the name of a column in the table [System Login].
                                                                        ' It can also be asserted that this column is defined as Text.
                                                                        ' Then and to the very least, the statement should be written:
                                                                        '
                                                                        ' rst.FindFirst "[Officer Last Name] = '[Officer Last Name]'"
                                                                        '
                                                                        ' However, it's very unlikely that the column [Officer Last Name]  would actually contain the
                                                                        ' litteral value [Officer Last Name]. So we are back to the same question as previously:
                                                                        ' What's the second [Officer Last Name]?
                                                                        '
                                                                        ' If it's a control on the form, you should use:
                                                                        '
                                                                        ' rst.FindFirst "[Officer Last Name] = '" & Me![Officer Last Name] & "'"
                                                                        '
                                                                        ' Otherwise, what can it be?
                                                                        '
            Me.txtOfficerLast.Value = [Officer Last Name]               ' If you want to assign the contents of the column [Officer Last Name] (from the recordset)
                                                                        ' to the control txtOfficerLast, you should use:
                                                                        '
                                                                        ' Me.txtOfficerLast.Value = rst![Officer Last Name]
                                                                        '
        End If
        rst.Close
        Set rst = Nothing
        Set dbs = Nothing

End Sub
    "

Provided Answers: 14
    What code do you use :

Here is the code

Have a nice day!

Sorry about that. Here the code.

Private Sub txtOfficerLast_Enter()
    Call OfficerLast
    End Sub

Dim dbs As DAO.Database
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset

Set dbs = CurrentDb

rst.FindFirst "[Login Status] = '*Yes*'"

If rst.NoMatch Then
    GoTo Cleanup

Else: [Login Status] = Yes
    rst.FindFirst "[Officer Last Name] = [Officer Last Name]"
    Me.txtOfficerLast.Value = [Officer Last Name]
    End If

Cleanup:
    rst.Close
    Set rst = Nothing
    Set dbs = Nothing

End Sub

Do you mean:
    Code:
    rst.FindFirst "[Officer Last Name] = '" & [Officer Last Name] & "'"
    Have a nice day!

I tried that piece of code and I still get a error. Am trying to call information from a table that has the Officer set values and when then login it changes the status to yes then when they open the form it gets the officer last from that table and fills in a text box on the forms they load so they don't have to type that information over and over. I have tried different codes but still get the run time error.

Provided Answers: 59
    and the error is reported on what line?
    Im assuming the error is still RTE 3251
    presumably 'System Login' is the name of a table, what columns exist in this table (name and datatype)
    is it a linked table, if so you will almost certainly need to defien what ype of recordset it is... look at the options for the openrecordset method
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Code:

Dim dbs As DAO.Database
        Dim rst As DAO.Recordset

Set dbs = CurrentDb
        rst.FindFirst "[Login Status] = '*Yes*'" ' Can the [Login Status] contain the litteral value *Yes* or do you mean:
                                                 '
                                                 ' rst.FindFirst "[Login Status] Like '*Yes*'" ?
                                                 '
        If rst.NoMatch Then
        Else
            [Login Status] = Yes                 ' What's [Login Status]
                                                 '
                                                 ' a) A column in the [System Login] table
                                                 '    In such a case you should use:
                                                 '
                                                 '    Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("System Login", dbOpenDynaset)
                                                 '    - - -
                                                 '    Else
                                                 '        rst.Edit
                                                 '        rst![Login Status] = "Yes"    ' Unless Yes is the name of a variable.
                                                 '        rst.Update
                                                 '   - - -
                                                 '
                                                 ' b) A control on the form
                                                 '    In such a case and to prevent any ambiguity you should use:
                                                 '
                                                 '    Me![Login Status] = "Yes"    ' Unless Yes is the name of a variable.
                                                 '
            rst.FindFirst "[Officer Last Name] = [Officer Last Name]"   ' We can suppose that [Officer Last Name] is the name of a column in the table [System Login].
                                                                        ' It can also be asserted that this column is defined as Text.
                                                                        ' Then and to the very least, the statement should be written:
                                                                        '
                                                                        ' rst.FindFirst "[Officer Last Name] = '[Officer Last Name]'"
                                                                        '
                                                                        ' However, it's very unlikely that the column [Officer Last Name]  would actually contain the
                                                                        ' litteral value [Officer Last Name]. So we are back to the same question as previously:
                                                                        ' What's the second [Officer Last Name]?
                                                                        '
                                                                        ' If it's a control on the form, you should use:
                                                                        '
                                                                        ' rst.FindFirst "[Officer Last Name] = '" & Me![Officer Last Name] & "'"
                                                                        '
                                                                        ' Otherwise, what can it be?
                                                                        '
            Me.txtOfficerLast.Value = [Officer Last Name]               ' If you want to assign the contents of the column [Officer Last Name] (from the recordset)
                                                                        ' to the control txtOfficerLast, you should use:
                                                                        '
                                                                        ' Me.txtOfficerLast.Value = rst![Officer Last Name]
                                                                        '
        End If
        rst.Close
        Set rst = Nothing
        Set dbs = Nothing

End Sub
    Have a nice day!