Provided Answers: 6

Unanswered: Fuzzy Lookup In SQL

Any recommended white boards or site any of the guru's would recommend? I am trying to compare an datafeed set to a table already in our data warehouse and think fuzzy data might be the only way to compare. In the product description from the feed there is a lot of extra information that should be in it's own column, but........ I'm not the owner of the file.

Any recommendations of matching fuzzy on two tables?

Take a deep breadth, and explain your problem to me like this is the first time we ever met and I have little idea what you do for a living.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Looking for a strategy to fuzzy match data in a database. Instead of joining all or nothing I would like to perform partial matches. I'm assuming there are 3rd party tools that can do a text string search and allowing you to do partial matches etc.

Quote Originally Posted by VLOOKUP View Post
    Looking for a strategy to fuzzy match data in a database. Instead of joining all or nothing I would like to perform partial matches. I'm assuming there are 3rd party tools that can do a text string search and allowing you to do partial matches etc.
    Are you matching on just a few fields or every one? What is the purpose of the fuzzy match? Are you trying to eliminate or identify duplicates? There is a lot of stuff. SQL 2012 Data Quality Services I believe includes its own Jaro-Winkler function. SQL Server has had Soundex for a long time. There is FULL-Text Searching, but without knowing the exact problem you are trying to solve it is hard to tell you what tool to use. If your database is small enough redgate used to have a pretty decent data compare tool.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Two tables involved. One has a description of the name of the product. We are comparing that product to a DEA website, which we have set up to feed into a excel file. However the column to match on in the DEA site has a lot of information other than the name, so it's impossible to get a boolean match. % in front or behind the name could possibly work but I'm apprehensive.

For simplicity

Table A has Product Name
    Table B has Product Name with a bunch of other chit. I'd like to use some fuzzy logic to match (join) the tables so we can manage recalls etc. The name's aren't always the same either so......... I'm not looking for perfect, 92% would be outstanding.

Any strategy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

how big is the table you're comparing, and how big is the table you're comparing to? Make a copy of an excerpt from both, and I am sure someone (including myself) will write up a concept.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Alright I appreciate the offer. I'll get the files attached shortly.

Provided Answers: 1
    Sample data, please.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

@ blindman See above

"Alright I appreciate the offer. I'll get the files attached shortly".

Solution in place, set up a SSIS package to handle the filtering.

Thanks this can be closed.