An exciting opportunity is currently available for a Software Engineering Manager at our site in Yeovil.
This is a rare and valuable opportunity for experienced Engineering Managers to join the world-class CMMI Level 5 Software delivery team’s organisation at BAE Systems Defence Information’s software centre in Yeovil.
The Engineering Manager will report to the Programme Engineering Manager for a business stream, and is responsible for the delivery of the technical solution for software-intensive products, also forming a key interface to the business and the customer.
You will be a key participant in some of the exciting new projects currently under way, from advanced helicopter and fixed-wing mission planning incorporating 3D fly-through and debrief, through advanced fault prediction, diagnosis and maintenance management solutions to networked training simulations bringing real and simulated aircraft together – we are transforming the conventional model for aircraft operations right now.
We are also bringing aerospace technology to the rail market, with our advanced planning software which will allow the world’s most complex metro rail to operate timetables to a resolution of one second, while our train operation & protection software provides super smooth travel with the highest levels of integrity.
We have opportunities to design and develop software in all of these areas, or you may be more suited to developing high fidelity simulations of fast jets and land vehicles, networking ships and aircraft securely across the globe, or contributing to the world’s biggest defence programme.
Whichever seems right for you, you will have the opportunity to move between different domains and experience novel technologies during your time with us.
Your main responsibilities as a Software Engineering Manager will involve:
Management of the project engineering team on a day to day basis which includes deriving/reviewing estimates and agreeing these with the Project Manager, management of the team to achieve commitments within the agreed estimates and maintaining the engineering team.
Developing and maintaining good software development practices in line with the Management System, and see that these practices are adhered to on a day by day basis by the development team.
Providing appropriate engineering metrics and reporting criteria as agreed with the Project Manager or as required by business processes.
Providing advice to the team on issue resolution on the projects
Managing the customer interface. Being involved in change control boards, delivery review. Being the main conduit for the interaction with the customer.
Continually looking for improvements and greater efficiency in working practices.
Overseeing agreed changes to the technical baseline and ensuring adherence to the company and project change management processes.
Undertaking performance management of team members through the company Performance Development Review (PDR) process, and addressing issues of poor project and individual performance within the engineering team.
Motivating and maintaining team morale within the engineering team.
Dependent on the product, team size and knowledge of the job holder, the Engineering Manager may also be asked to take on some project management duties or act as technical authority for a product.
Your skills and qualifications:
• A strong understanding of the full software development lifecycle, from requirements & design through to delivery, in the Agile, Iterative or Incremental delivery models.
• A working knowledge of, and strong background in, software development processes (e.g. design, coding, unit testing), and development tools (e.g. UML design tools, source code control, defect reporting systems).
• A proven track record in successful development and delivery of software products.
• A record of working to, and participating in the development of, defined and structured software engineering lifecycle processes with formal gate reviews and a culture of measurement and continuous improvement; experience of working with quality standards such as CMMI and ISO-9001 is an advantage.
• Knowledge and experience of controlling Agile processes through Scrum is an advantage, particularly experience as a Scrum Master or Product Owner.
• Experience of managing requirements using DOORS toolset
• Experience of configuration and change management across projects
• Experience of mentoring more junior staff and leading teams, and providing development schedules for the teams.
What we're looking for in you:
We are looking for somebody with a strong background in Software Development, who has experience of managing teams of software engineers. This person will have the ability to communicate and manage stakeholder/ customer engagements and be able to understand underlying issues that may occur within a development environment, with the ability to direct teams in how to overcome issues.