Answered: unbound combo box does not update table field

Please help,

I have a form that serves as data input purpose for [table1]. All input text boxes will update [table1], except the unbound combo boxes. Comboboxes are cascading boxes that are based on queries off [table1], so the 3rd cbox list is based on 2nd cbox input, that is based on 1st cbox input.

PROBLEM, after list everything from cboxes and save. When going back to [table1], fields that are supposed to take inputs from those cboxes are STILL EMPTY.

I know it's due to unbound cboxes, that are not linked to [table1] fields via foreign key, lookup table, whatever.

But please let me know the exact steps I need to resolve this.

2. Best Answer
    Posted by healdem

"what is stopping you from using bound controls for this?"

Provided Answers: 59
    erm if you use unbound controls, then how on earth do you expect the underlying data to be changed... by magic
    what you could do is place some code behind the form to accomplish what you want.

not knowing what your design is its hard to say what is the 'right' approach
    it could be when the value of the unbound combo/list boxes change you use the relevant event to 'post' / assign a value to a bound control
    it could be that when you seek to update a row (ie in the forms before update event) that you assignt he values.
    it could be you do an update through a query

it could be that what you have is a display issue, in which case you may need to place some code behind the form's on current event
    ..its not clear, or at least not to me what the issue is.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    erm if you use unbound controls, then how on earth do you expect the underlying data to be changed... by magic
    what you could do is place some code behind the form to accomplish what you want.

not knowing what your design is its hard to say what is the 'right' approach
    it could be when the value of the unbound combo/list boxes change you use the relevant event to 'post' / assign a value to a bound control
    it could be that when you seek to update a row (ie in the forms before update event) that you assignt he values.
    it could be you do an update through a query

it could be that what you have is a display issue, in which case you may need to place some code behind the form's on current event
    ..its not clear, or at least not to me what the issue is.
    As the question described, the goal is to use the combo boxes in the form ( in this case unbound one, since I do not know how to set it to bound) to update fields in [table1] based on cboxes selection.

the three options you listed are surely valid but are not clear for me to solve the problem.

Which part of the question is not clear to you so I can help you to help me get a detailed solution?

Does the screenshot below help?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	query.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	16391

Provided Answers: 59
    what is stopping you from using bound controls for this?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Smile

I didn't know how to bound it, but have figured it out then. Thanks anyway.

I will mark this answered.