Unanswered: Make a column editable for new record only

I have what I thought would be a fairly simple task for the database I'm working on, but I'm stumped right now. I have only been using access for a week now but have managed to build a database and get a working form together. I made one the columns read only because I don't want anybody changing it after the record has been created. I have a button to add a new record, which works fine in itself but i can't figure out how to make the read only column editable for a new record. Basically, I just need the column to become editable with a new record and go back to read only once the new record is made.

I tried using a loop to keep it writable while Me.AddNewRecord is true, but that caused the program to crash. I also tried Me.Sleeve.Enabled = Me.AddNewRecord but that completely disabled the new record action.

I've been messing with this for quite a while and have searched around with no luck. If anybody could give me a push in the right direction that would be great, thanks.

Using Access 2010

Provided Answers: 59
    change the forms display mode, forget the details but you can set a forms property to be add only...
    there was another post recently about this
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Got it!

I think I got it figured out.

In the Form Load section:

Me.Sleeve.Enabled = False

When the new record button is clicked:

Private Sub AddSleeve_Click()

DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
    Me.Sleeve.Enabled = True

End Sub

Then I found that you can do a leave cell action:

Private Sub Sleeve_Exit(Cancel As Integer)

Me.Sleeve.Enabled = False

End Sub

When the new record is added it allows the cell to be edited but goes back to read only when you leave the cell.