Provided Answers: 1

Answered: Add to existing table or create a new table for data

I have an interesting problem. I am helping a small non-profit with their database. They provide services to cancer patients and provide periodic reports to their major funding agencies from the various counties that the non-profit services. All of the funding agencies require the same basic demographic information to be reported on the client and that information is entered once when the client registers.

But now one of the funding agencies (rogue agency) has suddenly decided that their demographic information (age range, employment status, etc) categories are going to be radically different from all of the other agencies. While this at first glance does not seem an issue, it complicates the reports. The other agencies will still require reports on clients who live in their counties who received services even if they did not fund the service using the "standard demographic information."

The rouge agency only wants reports on clients they they fund regardless of where they live.

So in short, do I add new fields to the exiting demographics table, modify existing quires and reports to account for the fields or do I create new tables just for the rogue agency, create new relationships for the tables, new reports, etc..etc..

This is the challenge that this non-profit faces. One agency can suddenly make reporting demands undo all of the work that was done normalizing the database.

I am not sure if I explained this correctly and not should how I should help this agency.

Thanks...

Johnny

2. Best Answer
    Posted by J Swindle

"Thank you for your insight and suggestions. You have confirmed what I felt was needed. Now my use of the term "rogue" was meant along the lines of "...items or groups that do not conform to a desired standard..." which in itself is neither good or bad.

Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    Without knowing your design and details of the requirements its hard to say. However on the face of it, it should not be an especially difficult task...
    ....depending on how your current data schema is implemented.
    Providing you have the specific data attribute(s) at the right level.
    so id expect you to have DateOfBirth, Gender, Ethnicity and whatever other metric required at the individual registered consumer of the charities services, along with which organisations fund that consumer.
    you may need a table(s) that 'translate' those attributes into terms the funders request. Eg if one funder wants 5 year age gaps, another wants say babies, pre school, primary school and so on.
    resist the temptation to create special tables for a specific immediate problem, UNLESS tgat is the only way of neeting the requirement.
    by all means create specific queries for specific requirements. Bear in mind that you can run tge same report with different source queries (providing that those queries have the same columns in them)
    You may well be tearing your hair out at this change in requirements, but ultimately that organisation is funding some if the charities activities. It doesnt seem unreasonable that their reporting requirements are met. Calling 'em "rogue agency" isn't neccesarily fair or reasonable in my books.
    "

Provided Answers: 59
    Without knowing your design and details of the requirements its hard to say. However on the face of it, it should not be an especially difficult task...
    so id expect you to have DateOfBirth, Gender, Ethnicity and whatever other metric required at the individual registered consumer of the charities services, along with which organisations fund that consumer.
    you may need a table(s) that 'translate' those attributes into terms the funders request. Eg if one funder wants 5 year age gaps, another wants say babies, pre school, primary school and so on.
    resist the temptation to create special tables for a specific immediate problem, UNLESS tgat is the only way of neeting the requirement.
    by all means create specific queries for specific requirements. Bear in mind that you can run tge same report with different source queries (providing that those queries have the same columns in them)
    You may well be tearing your hair out at this change in requirements, but ultimately that organisation is funding some if the charities activities. It doesnt seem unreasonable that their reporting requirements are met. Calling 'em "rogue agency" isn't neccesarily fair or reasonable in my books.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 1
    Thank you for your insight and suggestions. You have confirmed what I felt was needed. Now my use of the term "rogue" was meant along the lines of "...items or groups that do not conform to a desired standard..." which in itself is neither good or bad.

Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 06-09-15 at 12:10. Reason: Corrected mispelling that would confuse meaning.