Unanswered: Which Application To Use

I'm currently using two different cheap $100 database programs to track our company vehicles (15) and company employees (45). They have been doing a bare minimum job, however lack the ability to customize, nor will they network so that other users in my office can access them.

Due to, I'd like to recreate these databases in a mainstream application (Access, Filemaker, etc.) Something that both databases can be accessed directly from and anyone in the office can access it. Also something that I can customize to whatever our needs might be.

I would ideally like to use Access, for I have some experience with it and it already resides on everyone's machines. The problem I'm having is I would like a nice clean interface that everyone uses where they only see the boxes to fill in the data. There were then be a backend way to get into customizing. All of the databases I have been playing with all have the Tables on the left and then the datasheet visible.

An ideal user screen would be similar to the screenshot I've attached.

Can this be accomplished in Access and is Access the best application to use for this?

Thanks for any assistance.

Aaron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vehicle Database.jpg  

Provided Answers: 54
    Microsoft Access can definitely do what you've described.

Only you can answer if it is the "best" because only you know your criteria. With that said, I wouldn't choose Access for a 45 user scenario, but I know and respect many people who would.

I'm moving your thread to the Microsoft Access forum. It will get better/more appropriate comments there.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks Pat, however there would only be four of us that has access to the database. It would just contain 45 different employees.

I'm happy to hear that Access will do what I'm looking for. Would anybody know of a sample database I can dl somewhere to see this? All of the samples I've found still show the editing tools (tables etc.) in the main user GUI.

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 59
    bear in mind an multi (concurrent) Access database should be split into the user interface (so called front end) and the data store (the so called back end)
    using plain vanilla Access with its bound controls on forms (and if you dont' know what they are, then you are using bound controls on forms ) will hit problems if you have more that somewhere between 15..30 concurrent users. using unbound controls, with a back end on a full blown client server database (ie the Access application provides the user interface, Access can support multi hundred concurrent users.
    you can have different front ends connecting to the same back end, or limit what users can do and or see, depending on their user or usergroup profile
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton